SOLVED "Can not open file C:recover.dat"

Reaction score
Hi All,
I tried upgrading my Vista Home Edition to Windows 7 Ultimate.. Everything went fine during installation but a few seconds when "Windows 7 starts.." appear, "Shutting Down" appears on screen and when it restarts...I get this big red letter word ERROR on the screen...with the note on top that reads: Can not open file C: recover.dat.
I tried clean install, I tried upgrade and still I get that message. When that appears, I have to reinstall Vista, so the installation disc could be read. Anybody has an idea what is happening and how to correct it? Big thanks to anybody who can provide solution to my problem.

Reaction score
Hi Mach_Bust3r - Welcome to w7forums

You mentioned you tried a clean install. Was this from within Windows Vista or did you try booting to the DVD?

Reaction score
Hi Mach_Bust3r - Welcome to w7forums

You mentioned you tried a clean install. Was this from within Windows Vista or did you try booting to the DVD?
Thanks for the Welcome..
I installed it using Windows Vista Home Edition.. Unfortunately, I can't boot thru the DVD even though I "altered" the BIOS booting sequence, maybe because the DVD is not bootable(?)..

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Did you burn this disc yourself, or is it one you bought? If it's an official Windows 7 disc then it is most definitely bootable.

The system should ask you to boot from the disc the first time, if it doesn't then most likely something isn't configured in the BIOS. The DVD drive needs to be selected as the first boot device. Also, some computers will allow you to hit a Function key to select a boot menu during the POST without needing to enter the BIOS, but which key depends on the computer. It should tell you on the POST screen...

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this same problem and I had it when I downloaded the RC version and installed from a the disk and now that I have the actual Win 7 disk I still have the same problem after I go through the whole install flawlessly.

Please help

Reaction score
Did you burn this disc yourself, or is it one you bought? If it's an official Windows 7 disc then it is most definitely bootable.

The system should ask you to boot from the disc the first time, if it doesn't then most likely something isn't configured in the BIOS. The DVD drive needs to be selected as the first boot device. Also, some computers will allow you to hit a Function key to select a boot menu during the POST without needing to enter the BIOS, but which key depends on the computer. It should tell you on the POST screen...
I think its not a question about the disc itself because it performs the set-up function that it was designed to do. The problem starts when the system reboots for the last time to complete the set-up. I am using ASUS M51Sseries laptop, 3 gig RAM..

Reaction score
Finally, I was able to install Windows 7 Ultimate using the same downloaded software! The secret is to burn it at the lowest possible speed, in my case 2x..

Ask a Question