Can I add Windows Ultimate to XP on a Logical drive?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will try to keep this simple. I currently have Win XP 32 bit on my C drive which is logical (don't know why it is). And I want to add Windows Ultimate, but I don't know where to put it. Here is a screenshot of my disk management. What would be the easiest installation with minimal dangers. Thanks so much for any help (I'm kind of a n00b, so be patient with me please).

Attachments

Reaction score
I currently have Win XP 32 bit on my C drive which is logical (don't know why it is).
If you notice E: is marked as system, this is the drive the MBR boots to and then E: points to C: for Windows to boot. Windows 7 works the same way. As long as the system files are placed on a primary partition, the OS can be installed to a logical partition.

You do realize Windows Ultimate has a feature called XP Mode. This feature allows for Windows XP Professional SP3 with the help of Virtual PC to run inside of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate Editions.

Edit:
You should consider removing both C: and E: then installing Windows Ultimate to a new primary partition within the unallocated space.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You mean I should reformat C and E?

I kind of wanted to keep all of my programs, software etc.

Reaction score
You mean I should reformat C and E?

I kind of wanted to keep all of my programs, software etc.
Thats not possible when upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. You would first have to upgrade to Windows Vista then upgrade to Windows 7, before you could keep your XP programs and settings for Windows 7. Even then its always advised on the forums not to do an upgrade that a clean install has a much better success rates.

Reaction score
But I don't want to upgrade, I want to be able to chose a dual boot between XP Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate. Could I not just install Windows Ultimate on the E drive? In other words I want both OS's. I thought that that was possible (I may be wrong). :(

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I have up-dated my specs if that helps.

Reaction score
But I don't want to upgrade, I want to be able to chose a dual boot between XP Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate. Could I not just install Windows Ultimate on the E drive?
Yeah you can do that, Windows 7 will make the appropriate changes and add a Boot Menu so you have a choice during startup. Word of warning though, pay close attention to the partition sizes and make sure the installer doesn't switch them on you. In other words make sure you install to the partition you want Windows 7 on.

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. Just to clarify, you are saying I can install Windows Ultimate on my E drive, correct? But since it is a system drive should I reformat it to make it just a primary drive (I can't remember how Drive E became a system active drive).

And would I still have to partition drive E since I only want the Ultimate OS on it? (I know I must sound pretty stupid to you right now, but my main reason for wanting to install Windows Ultimate is so that I can use all of my 16 GBs of RAM (I believe that with XP 32 bit, I can only use 4 GB).

Reaction score
With E:\ being 99.9% free space, I'd say you were good to go.
But since it is a system drive should I reformat it to make it just a primary drive (I can't remember how Drive E became a system active drive).
E:\ is a primary drive and will need to remain the system drive.

Reaction score
Okay, so can I just install Windows Ultimate on it (no partitions)?

Any caveats? For example, installing Windows Ultimate on E should not interfere with C drive with XP OS?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, so can I just install Windows Ultimate on it (no partitions)?

Any caveats? For example, installing Windows Ultimate on E should not interfere with C drive with XP OS?
No In this case Windows will only make changes to E:\, the partition it is being installed on. Then if a dual boot has not been setup automatically, you can manually do so later.

Reaction score
Okay cc, you've been very helpful and I will give that a try. But if Murphy's Law should intercede can I come back and bend your ear in the event that I run into any problems?

Ask a Question