Can a backup HDD be converted to a main?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sometime shortly after I bought my desktop, I bought a Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 500GB backup HDD. I have a collection of backup drives now, so I have a question.

Can this drive be cracked open, and the HDD inside be placed in my notebook? It's the same size (500GB) and runs at 7200rpm. See specs:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Seagate-Fre...FPA2E3-RK-Hard-Drive-/71120949/r.html?_fcls=1

The last time I cracked a backup drive open (due to failure of the enclosure components, not the drive itself), I was surprised to find within a WD 2.5", 160GB, 7200 rpm SATA HDD. I bought another enclosure for it, and I now run Linux Mint on it through USB.

My current HDD within my notebook is a 5400rpm Hitachi, I don't know the buffer specs. I was considering purchasing one of Seagate's hybrid HDD's for it, but I'm saving (what I can) for my next PC, which in all likelihood will be home built.

I'm sure that the HDD within this Seagate enclosure is a 2.5" one, as it's too small & light to be a 3.5" one. It's only been used for backups, probably no more than 48 hours of use, tops.

Anyone done this with success?

Cat

Reaction score
Only one way to find out...lol. Seriously, you should have no problem doing that. I hear people all the time doing just that.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Reaction score
backup is really important... do not settle for less... I have removable HDD, DVD as backup. removable HDD is the better choice.

Ask a Question