Buying software as a download.

What do you think of buying software downloads online.

• It's the only way I purchase new software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purchased online without problems

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Only do it if I cannot buy a disk.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Tried it did not like the process

• Will never buy software as a download

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
What does everyone think about this?
I've done it, it gives you a wider choice of software but I see problems if you have a big system crash and need to re-install and re-register. I've had some issues in this respect.

Edit. In the context of paying for software. Not free downloads.
Edit # 2.. In the context of software other then the main OS.

Mychael

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Your poll questions are slanted to the negative just a little bit.

Perhaps another question would be: Have purchased it and had no problems.

I have bought software as a download only, then store the program executable and register info on an external hard drive. Never had any problems.

Just my two cents worth.

Reaction score
Can I add to the poll? I thought answering yes to the first question would imply that the poster found buying online acceptable?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Can I add to the poll? I thought answering yes to the first question would imply that the poster found buying online acceptable?
You have it written as: The ONLY way I purchase new software.

Many people buy boxed software such as Windows 7 and Office 2007, Nero and such.

I haven't bought that much software as a "download only" option online, about four if I remember right. However each transaction went smoothly and without a hitch.

Reaction score
Yes, see what you mean. Do I have to kill it and start again or can I add another choice. (maybe easier if i just kill it)

Reaction score
I would strongly prefer to buy online. I don't feel like going to the store.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Me too. Why get out in the rat race when you don't have to? If you know what you want, trust the product & seller, you can get it for less (usually) and have it installed & running, by the time you can be back home with it. Plus, the gas and wear & tear on your ride counts, too. And if you use a credit card or PayPal, you're protected. I've had no bad experiences from paid downloads, it was the "freebies" that gave me trouble. You get what you pay for, in most cases.

Reaction score
The issues I've ever had was not in the actual purchase but in getting either customer support and/or a fresh download/ re-registration when I've had to re-format or replace my system drive.

I've also learn't to 'read the fine print' as caught out once when a product automatically billed me for a renewal instead of asking for my authority and another that ceased to function after 12 months when I did not renew. Now that to me is like I was hiring the software for a yr instead of ever owning it. To my mind renewing is just so you can still get updates and support not to actually keep the program running.

So my preference will now always be to buy hard copy if it's feasible, never been an issue for me to go to to an actual shop, plus I can read the box and find out exactly if it's what I want before purchase.

I'm afraid though that the future will be only online/download shopping for software.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As long as you read that fine print, you should know what's up. I do know what you mean though, those time deals. Paragon is bad for pulling a fast one on you, but there are others, too. Most users don't even bother to read the EULA before downloading or installing, they just click through everything. Actually, since you spoke of "hiring" the software, Windows is sort of like that. The software isn't truly yours, you're paying for a license to use the OS. They don't always enforce everything down to the last word, but it's really not fully yours. Even the ones that aren't supported anymore. You can't modify it to your specs, it's "as is", and it's costly at that. Other software has the same rules. It's a shame that's the way things are, but that's the way it is.

Reaction score
The issues I've ever had was not in the actual purchase but in getting either customer support and/or a fresh download/ re-registration when I've had to re-format or replace my system drive.

I've also learn't to 'read the fine print' as caught out once when a product automatically billed me for a renewal instead of asking for my authority and another that ceased to function after 12 months when I did not renew. Now that to me is like I was hiring the software for a yr instead of ever owning it. To my mind renewing is just so you can still get updates and support not to actually keep the program running.

So my preference will now always be to buy hard copy if it's feasible, never been an issue for me to go to to an actual shop, plus I can read the box and find out exactly if it's what I want before purchase.
I'm afraid though that the future will be only online/download shopping for software.

I'm with you Mychael, If I have any choice at all, I want the hard copy. I'll go out of my way to find that hard copy here in town if possible.
Like you, I've also had an incident where a party attempted to renew without my authority.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I have maybe purchased 2 downloadable programs in my computing life. For everything else I was either able to buy the disc in store or from amazon and the like. Beyond that, if I run into a buy and download only option, I usually find another similar and free download instead.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Some paid downloads are good, some are bad. The same with the "free" ones. If the software is good, I would rather download it (I can see where someone who has a "cap" on their usage would rather order). It's faster & more convenient for me.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If I'm going to purchase a download only option software I do read the Eula as it can contain IMPORTANT to me info.

Ask a Question