Thinking of buying a Desktop Computer

Reaction score
Ive been looking at the Packard Bell iPower X3.0

Linked here -> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell-ipower-i9723-06323861-pdt.html

I don't suppose someone with a good knowledge of hardware would know if this is a good system to have, and perhaps point out any weakpoints, like 'Crap Video Card model' etc.

Would appreciate any help, I don't know much about parts, I just see the speed it runs at and assume 'wow that is faster than my old one'

Thanks All,

Reaction score
Hi.

I don't know money conversion rates between the UK and US off the top of my head. I know that UK pounds are more valuable than US dollars, but not at which rate. I'm not considering price at all because of this.

From a technical standpoint, that system looks to be very well. It would handle all the latest games at HD resolutions quite easily. The video card is really good with 192 bit bandwidth and 8 GB DDR3 system RAM is more than enough, The CPU is very fast and the hard drive is quite large.

You really wouldn't go wrong with that system as it would easily do anything you wanted to do with it.

Reaction score
That's about $1564.00. I'm thinking that I would be looking for a less expensive system with 4GBRAM and a 500GB HD and one that includes a 24" monitor. You could probably do that for less than $1000.00.

Reaction score
Hi.

I don't know money conversion rates between the UK and US off the top of my head. I know that UK pounds are more valuable than US dollars, but not at which rate. I'm not considering price at all because of this.

From a technical standpoint, that system looks to be very well. It would handle all the latest games at HD resolutions quite easily. The video card is really good with 192 bit bandwidth and 8 GB DDR3 system RAM is more than enough, The CPU is very fast and the hard drive is quite large.

You really wouldn't go wrong with that system as it would easily do anything you wanted to do with it.

Thanks for the speedy response, that's exactly what I was looking for, a technical review, needed to know if there was a part that let the system down like my current laptops old video card, thanks for the info, will be buying that for sure next month,

Another note, any good monitor recommendations? Looking around 24 inches, I hear the Dell Cinema Displays are good

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's about $1564.00. I'm thinking that I would be looking for a less expensive system with 4GBRAM and a 500GB HD and one that includes a 24" monitor. You could probably do that for less than $1000.00.
I know it's a lot by American standards, but everything is ridiculously expensive in the UK, one reason I intend to emigrate there at some point.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
roban, a 500GB HD? I have 1.5TB and I'm looking at ordering another 1TB.

If you are into A/V then I say the more the merrier.

Where many manufacturers "cheap out" is the power supply. I used to use mine till it would die but, truth is, sooner or later, you will replace a PSU.

Reaction score
Would a machine like that be easy to upgrade myself over time?

Or would Packard Bell make it difficult to alter it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The hardest part is usually getting the face plate off if you need to.

Reaction score
Could it be taken apart with tools? (not a hammer) Got a pretty big workshop here at work

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Would a machine like that be easy to upgrade myself over time?

Or would Packard Bell make it difficult to alter it?
No, it would not be that hard. Once you remove the side panel it looks just like any other PC whether a factory-built one or a home-built.

Adding more RAM, hard drives, an extra optical drive, etc., is "easy peasy, lemon squeezy."

Roban had a good question though, for your main hard drive where Windows 7 will reside, you don't need a huge hard drive capacity. A 500GB would be just fine. Then put the big hard drives such as the 1.5 or 2 TB ones in the case and attach to the motherboard's extra SATA sockets. You DO NOT want to use a big hard drive for all you storage in addition to the operating system. Because if you have a system crash and cannot recover your files, then you have them on separate drives instead of relying on one drive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The covers are generally held in place by snap in plastic tabs. The trick is knowing wear the tabs are and gently pushing them in enough to clear the catch but not so hard as to break them off. Usually once you take the side of the case off you can see where the cover snaps are. The only tools you would need are a phillips screwdriver inside the case (not for the cover).

You only use the hammer if you are really :mad: and don't mind loosing your $1500 investment :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think it mentioned whether it was 1 drive or several anywas, if it's 1, I will add more drives in, I always keep all my files on an external 500GB drive anyways.

Reaction score
It's a single 1.5 terabyte HDD.

Perhaps if anything, with a system of those type of specs, you'd probably want at least SATA-II minimum HDD.

See if there are any comparable deals in relation to specs on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com, to get an idea - only now looking for SATA-II type HDD as well.

Hard drives are still the slowest component of any system (as part of the data reading process, I mean). Why not raise the level of performance of this important part, while purchasing such a nice machine, if possible?

In about 20-30 seconds, I saw this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229149&cm_re=i7_860-_-83-229-149-_-Product

Last edited:
Reaction score
Might still install another harddrive bay, or put a blu-ray drive in. Anyone got experience in using Blu-ray in Windows? What's it like? Seemless? Or a hassle?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Might still install another harddrive bay, or put a blu-ray drive in. Anyone got experience in using Blu-ray in Windows? What's it like? Seemless? Or a hassle?
If you have a good video card, one that is at least 2 years old or new you'll have no problems.

I HIGHLY recommend using Corel's WinDVD movie player software, it supports Blu-Ray and is top-rated.

The most important item, in my opinion besides a good video card, is a good monitor. Preferably a 22" widescreen or better. LED backlight also.

I don't know if ViewSonic monitors are available in the UK, but the VX2250wm-LED is a top quality unit and 1080p ready. Resolution is 1920 x 1080p.

Ask a Question