Bug USB Driver

Reaction score
When my computer reaches the end of the first section of the RC1 (64-bit) install, it doesn't reboot when it says it will. Instead, it sits for a while, and then gives me an error (BSOD) with the error code BUG_USB_DRIVER.

The only USB device I have plugged in is the receiver for my (MIcrosoft) wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I reboot the computer, it continues with the install but gets stuck at the Completing installation stage.
I got the same problem, I'm not so smart with computers as you guys are, hope you guys can help me please.

So, my os is Vista and my mouse, other mouse and usb stuff have all worked good for me. Till a few days ago when my little brother was playing with the end of the cable of my mouse. Now the ports stopped working and I'm not able anymore to use my mouse. Only 2 ports work if I put my mouse in it and it says "unknown device". Thats it and I downloaded the drivers for my mouse but it hasn't worked. I rebooted my laptop twice and when it reached 100% of formatting it was going to restart and I had the same blue error page with: BUG_USB_DRIVER. But, I was able to install everything and I could go on but I still have this problem; nothing with a usb cable works.. I rebooted this pc twice with doing almost everything possible in device manager but nothing has worked. I've sent an email to sony and I hope they will answer my email and if they don't I hope you guys can help me with my problem

Thanks in advance,
Salim

MOD NOTE: This was originally posted in this THREAD but this posters situation is unrelated to an install and definitely not a RC1 issue so I have moved it to its own thread and quoted the original issue this poster found from a web search.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website salim! :ciao:

You have revived a thread that is over two years old! This thread is no longer relevant at all as RC1 is a thing of the past.

Sounds like your little brother has basically broken your mouse. Get another mouse and check the ports then after turning off the computer. He probably shorted out some wires internally on the device. If the other mouse works then throw away your broken one and then go spank your brother's bottom! ;)

Reaction score
First of all - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website salim! :ciao:

You have revived a thread that is over two years old! This thread is no longer relevant at all as RC1 is a thing of the past.

Sounds like your little brother has basically broken your mouse. Get another mouse and check the ports then after turning off the computer. He probably shorted out some wires internally on the device. If the other mouse works then throw away your broken one and then go spank your brother's bottom! ;)
This mouse works perfectly fine on my computer and I have this other laptop mouse which doesn't work either and my usb stick doesn't work either, nothing appears, only with this mouse (trust mi 2950r) which worked perfectly fine b4 I get this message: unknown device.. I hope you can help me because I really think it are the ports who aren't working, not the mouse.

And I have spanked my brother multiple times, lol.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If those are USB ports on a laptop computer, they're usually more susceptible to damage than a desktop's ports. Especially if he flexed the male connector while it was in the female port. Those ports are directly mounted on motherboard and can be quite fragile.

Check Device Manager and see if any of the USB ports are reporting problems.

Try booting to safe mode and removing all instances of the hardware there. You may find multiples of the same device.

Reaction score
If those are USB ports on a laptop computer, they're usually more susceptible to damage than a desktop's ports. Especially if he flexed the male connector while it was in the female port. Those ports are directly mounted on motherboard and can be quite fragile.

Check Device Manager and see if any of the USB ports are reporting problems.

Try booting to safe mode and removing all instances of the hardware there. You may find multiples of the same device.
I checked device manager a lot of times and all are working fine it says. How can I boot to safe mode?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Reboot your computer and during the reboot start tapping the F8 key about twice a second and then Window will boot into Safe Mode. Choose the top entry shown on the black screen that pops-up.

Reaction score
Reboot your computer and during the reboot start tapping the F8 key about twice a second and then Window will boot into Safe Mode. Choose the top entry shown on the black screen that pops-up.
When exactly during the reboot I have to tap f8, while formatting or while installing.. Sorry for bothering you again.

Btw you mean with reboot, restarting the pc or reinstalling the pc, I'm sorry but I'm not so good in english.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I went to safe mode with help of my friend and my mouse still doesn't work. I have downloaded windows 7 and I just need a new cd so I can install it, I think I'll have to wait :bawling: Thanks for all your help anyway..

Reaction score
I think I screwed up everything now lol.. I downloaded this scanner to look for any problems I might have with any devices or drivers and there were some who weren't working.. Not just the usb controllers also IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers and more. I have removed all of them which didn't work in the scan and now its asking me to reinstall these drivers.. I have to reboot the pc and I hope this will work..

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What is your Device Manager telling you about the new "so called problems"?

Reaction score
What is your Device Manager telling you about the new "so called problems"?
It can't find any drivers for the SMbus-controllers, not on windows update and neither online.. Its a yellow !-mark under "other devices"..

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Press the Delete Key while powering up, if that doesn't work then try F2. Depends on the computer if it was factory-built or shop-built.

Reaction score
Press the Delete Key while powering up, if that doesn't work then try F2. Depends on the computer if it was factory-built or shop-built.
Ok, you're not going to believe this!

I was with my laptop mouse in the laptop and than I restarted the pc, than it went installing the driver for this mouse and suddenly.. THE MOUSE WORKS! So, after all, you we're right about my mouse being too old, I have it for like 3 years and actually it works perfectly fine on the computer but I'm going to buy a new mouse and hope it works, thanks a lot for your time.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your mouse suddenly works then I would suspect physical damage, as NIBS suggested early on. And since you said a USB stick didn't work either, I suspect the USB port rather than the mouse. Put your USB stick in and see if it also works now. It's quite possible you may experience intermittent problems with this USB port from now on.

Ask a Question