BSOD

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just replaced my 750 GB HDD with a Crucial M4 SSD (500GB). I have installed Win 7 (64 bit) from scratch and then installed Battlefield 3.

I have enabled the TRIM function on the SSD.

While playing BF3 in now get blue screens. (2 so far).

Here are the two BSOD dump files attached.

How do I send you my minidump files as currently they are locked. Trying to zip but I cannot send them anywhere?

Nevica

Reaction score
I tried as you suggested but:

I created a DMP file folder in My documents.

I then copied over the dumpfiles (using copy-paste) and tried to send to compressed.

I get the error message:

"File not found or no read permission"

Nevica

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean you created a DMP file? You want to create a FOLDER, not a file.

Then you need to copy the DMP files from %SystemRoot%\Minidump to your new DMP folder.

Then you back up one layer and zip the entire DMP folder.

Reaction score
That is what I have done. I am getting the error message.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you attach a screen shot of Windows Explorer showing your DMP folder and it's files?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Under Documents do you have a folder called "My Documents" ? If so then create the folder DMP under My Documents.

What I believe you have actually done is create a pointer under Documents to the real DMP folder and then assigned it the name "DMP" and this will not work. I believe if you expand Documents in the Left pane you will see "My Documents", "DMP" and probably "Public Documents". You want to delete DMP from that list. Then create a new folder (not a pointer) under "My Documents"

Last edited:
Reaction score
No. I don't see My Documents anywhere,

Either, in C/Users or Libraries/Documents.

Which Documents am I expanding in the left pane?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When W7 is first installed Libraries are set with defaults as follows:
Documents
>My Documents (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\nevica\My Documents)
>Public Documents (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\Public\My Documents)
Music
>My Music (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\nevica\My Music)
>Public Music (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\Public\My Music)
Pictures
>My Pictures (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\nevica\My Pictures)
>Public Pictures (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\Public\My Pictures)
Videos
>My Videos (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\nevica\My Videos)
>Public Videos (by default this is actually a pointer to C:\users\Public\My Videos)

These are just pointers and because Libraries are dynamic (meaning you can add/change/delete/or rename them) you must have changed or removed them completely.

So, do you use libraries at all? Maybe you prefer to go directly to C:\users\nevica\my documents ? or maybe you have completely moved where data is stored?

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing where you store your data or how you use your libraries.

So to zip up your DMP files you first need a folder that you "own" (it doesn't have to be under Libraries if that is not normally where you store your documents, it simply has to be a folder that is owned by "Nevica") and under that folder you create a new folder called DMP. Then you copy the files from within %SystemRoot%\Minidump to the new folder you created. This is important because on your computer you don't "own" the folders under %systemroot%; they are "owned" by the operating system and you cannot zip and store the resulting file in a folder you do not own.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks,

Very useful information.

So, if this is so then I should be able to left click on the desktop and create a new folder and call it anything. Copy over the dump files with copy/paste and then send to a compressed folder.

This I have tried already but it didn't work. I got the same error message.

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Alright, download and install "Take Ownership".

Now create a temporary folder on your desktop. Next copy your system DMP files to this temporary folder. Now from the desktop, right-click on the temporary folder and choose "Take Ownership" from the context menu. Once that completes then right-click and choose Send to > compressed (zipped) folder. If you still get an error then there is something wrong with your permissions.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have started a new post. I think the problem is related to Direct-X crashing.

Nevica

Reaction score
Alright, download and install "Take Ownership".

Now create a temporary folder on your desktop. Next copy your system DMP files to this temporary folder. Now from the desktop, right-click on the temporary folder and choose "Take Ownership" from the context menu. Once that completes then right-click and choose Send to > compressed (zipped) folder. If you still get an error then there is something wrong with your permissions.
Hi,

I did as you suggested using "TakeOwnership" but I'm still getting an error when I try and send to a zipped folder.

I get the error message "File not found found or no read permission". I am clearly clicking on the file so I must not have read permission even after TakeOwnership is run?

There is also something very strange going on. I changed the permission to read only and the file disappeared? What is going on please?

Any ideas.

Nevica

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nope, no ideas. Either there is a problem with your installation or you are doing something incorrect but I cannot tell from here.

Either way it seems highly likely it is the SSD so until you get that firmware updated there is not much point in speculating as to other issues.

Reaction score
I have checked the firmware of the the SSD and it is the latest version.

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And what about the drivers that get loaded to communicate with the SSD, are those the latest from Crucial?

Reaction score
Hello,

Is their a way that I can open the minidump file myself and then convert into a word document or something?

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The bluescreenview tool I use to open it wouldn't be able to do it's magic if it isn't a proper DMP file. First off, are you logged on as an administrator? If not I think you should be. Then what you might try doing is just copying a single DMP file to a flash drive (the latest one). Now if you are able to copy it to a flash drive then try zipping it there. If that works then attach it to your next post.

Or you could download bluescreenview and run it to see what it highlights in pink.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have finally found a tool for providing BSOD information.

I have zipped everything up and attached.

Hope your able to help.

Nevica

Attachments

Ask a Question