BSOD While playing a certain game

Reaction score
So While I'm playing this one game, after say about 20 mins or so the game gets very buggy with menues and boraders disapearing off the hud. This progressivle gets worse intill the game is no longer playable. At this point try to exit the game and BSOD. If I let the game keep running after awhile it will crash then BSOD.

Deleted installed driver for GPU.
Updated Chipset.
Updated sound.
Scan Disk for corruptions. PASSED
Memtest. PASSED
Check games forum for bugs. No help
All other drivers appear to be up to date, could have missed something though.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times fully patching it with AV disabled.
Also checked system temps, not over heating.
Checked RAM using one stick at a time no change.

Only seem to have this problem with this picticular game so far.

Here is the latest dump file: View attachment 082611-13712-01.zip

Also here is my DXdiag if it helps: View attachment DxDiagx64.zip

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What game? What are your computer specs? MOBO/CPU? RAM? On-board video or what is your GPU? Custom build? Overclocked?

Last edited:
Reaction score
There could be an update for the game itself or your video card. 1st hunt for updated video card drivers at either www.amd.com or www.nvidia.com . Then search Bing or Google by typing the name of the games - updates/downloads .

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
So While I'm playing this one game, after say about 20 mins or so the game gets very buggy with menues and boraders disapearing off the hud. This progressivle gets worse intill the game is no longer playable. At this point try to exit the game and BSOD. If I let the game keep running after awhile it will crash then BSOD.

Deleted installed driver for GPU.
Updated Chipset.
Updated sound.
Scan Disk for corruptions. PASSED
Memtest. PASSED
Check games forum for bugs. No help
All other drivers appear to be up to date, could have missed something though.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times fully patching it with AV disabled.
Also checked system temps, not over heating.
Checked RAM using one stick at a time no change.

Only seem to have this problem with this picticular game so far.

Here is the latest dump file: View attachment 3414

Also here is my DXdiag if it helps: View attachment 3415

Thanks

Memory corruption probably caused by a driver (directX?). please run these two tests

1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program.

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

2-Driver verifier

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys,

I tried memtest build into windows already and they passed but, when I get a blank CD i'll try memtest86.

I also already tried Driver verifier, I can run windows just fine nothing seems to BSOD the computer while its active inside windows except the game of course. However If I shut down and or restart, comp will BSOD at windows LOGO just before log in screen. I have to boot into safe mode and disable it to get system running again.

So I figured a driver corruption or bad driver, not sure what one though was hoping the dump file would shed some light on it. I've tried to delete using driver sweeper a few drivers and reinstall them, but guess I havent hit the right one. All my drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.

Does the dump file point to anything in particular?

Also for the guys that asked if the game is up to date yes it is Hearts of iron 3. I play way more demanding games and don't seem to have any problem yet. Execpt a couple dumps when I was playing Shogun Total war 2 but I figured out what that was and fixed it.

And that guy who wanted to know specs.

Alienware area 51
RAM: 12g Cosiar CM3X1600
GPU: 2x ATI 5980's " Not overclocked " ATM
Proc: Intel I7 960 3.2ghz "Not overclocked" ATM
MB: Is an Alienware OXDJ4C actually made by intell

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Reaction score
This one's a last ditch effort. Make sure you've downloaded the Catalyst 11.8 driver's (they're the most current). Disable your antivirus/antispyware app's and restart your pc. Re-enable the antivirus/antispyware app's and see what happen's. With any driver's you need to disable antivirus/antispyware temporarily for the drivers to correctly install. You also, may have your ram timings set wrong in the bios. Download CPU-z from www.cpuid.com, install it and click on the SPD tab. Upload that file to this thread. Also, use those timings in your bios. When you ran Memtest86+, did you test each ram stick individually ? If not , pull all but one ram stick out and rerun it. After one passes, pull it out and and put a different stick in and rerun it until all have been tested. If one fails, there's your problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll download CPUz as soon as possible and get that screen shot for you.

If DirectX is corrupted or bad, not good. As far as I know its build right into Win7 , don't think there is anyway of deleting it and installing a fresh set is there, well besides format reinstall?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Here is the CPUz page. Ram Time.png

I all timing appear to be correct but I also noticed that it show my ram operating at 800mhz, on the memory tab should be 1600 unleas this is a step down speed while its not being stressed.

Thanks

Ask a Question