BSOD While heavy gaming

Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my first thread, so I would like to say hi to you all guys.

I'll explain the problem. I just buy a new gaming rig 3 weeks ago (specs attached as well as dxdiag), and from the very first day I experience a BSOD while playing the game Shogun 2 Total War. The problem doesn't seem to happen randomly: I have to graphically max it out (or nearly), play with crossfire on, and play in Dx11 mode. When I do that, the game would more likely cause a BSOD while in heavy graphical stressful situations, like a unit getting a tone of fire arrows while I am zooming the camera to it. If I don't do all this at the same time (I mean, conjuncting Dx11, crossfire on, and max graphics), the problem hasn't appeared so far.

I didn't get any other BSOD in any other game/aplication so far. Because it is new, I took the system to the store, just to verify it was not hardware issue. They tested every single component, run temp tests, tried both gpu separately, changed my RAM brand to make it QVL, make sure the BIOS was well configured and updated, etc.

After 2 weeks of testing, nothing. Everything has been tested and verified that is well plugged and into place, no faulty piece was found, as neither were overheating issues.

I am really desperate, cause some people tell me that is just a problem from the game... but I didn't find any other person reporting the same problem. I know that this game is really cpu intense, I don't know if that could be the cause, like turboboosting causing it. I have checked different drivers, and no one solved it. I re installed the game and even Win7, and not solved. I know some AMD videocards users had BSOD problems with the file "atikmdag.sys", could that be my case too?

I attached a folder with the last registered dumps. Please note that, for some reason, myself I expreience a reboot, and not sure why the sysem didn't keep the file for my dumps today, just the ones that they experienced in the store while checking.

I would really appreciate your help, cause I can't tell how stupid and frustrated I feel after spending quite a lot of my hard earned money for one gaming system that I was very excited about, and not being sure if it's a melon, or just where the error (if there is any) is!!. Please, help me guys, I don't know what else to do.

P.S. Please mind that my AMD drivers and profiles may not be the last ones. That's not relevant, have tried others and the problem persisted.

P.P.S. At the store they told me that they didn't experience new BSOD after changing my RAM... I got one myself at home. Anyway, that means the dumps attached are previous to RAM changing, but because that didn't make the problem to disapear, I think they can be useful too.

Attachments

Last edited:

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my first thread, so I would like to say hi to you all guys.

I'll explain the problem. I just buy a new gaming rig 3 weeks ago (specs attached as well as dxdiag), and from the very first day I experience a BSOD while playing the game Shogun 2 Total War. The problem doesn't seem to happen randomly: I have to graphically max it out (or nearly), play with crossfire on, and play in Dx11 mode. When I do that, the game would more likely cause a BSOD while in heavy graphical stressful situations, like a unit getting a tone of fire arrows while I am zooming the camera to it. If I don't do all this at the same time (I mean, conjuncting Dx11, crossfire on, and max graphics), the problem hasn't appeared so far.

I didn't get any other BSOD in any other game/aplication so far. Because it is new, I took the system to the store, just to verify it was not hardware issue. They tested every single component, run temp tests, tried both gpu separately, changed my RAM brand to make it QVL, make sure the BIOS was well configured and updated, etc.

After 2 weeks of testing, nothing. Everything has been tested and verified that is well plugged and into place, no faulty piece was found, as neither were overheating issues.

I am really desperate, cause some people tell me that is just a problem from the game... but I didn't find any other person reporting the same problem. I know that this game is really cpu intense, I don't know if that could be the cause, like turboboosting causing it. I have checked different drivers, and no one solved it. I re installed the game and even Win7, and not solved. I know some AMD videocards users had BSOD problems with the file "atikmdag.sys", could that be my case too?

I attached a folder with the last registered dumps. Please note that, for some reason, myself I expreience a reboot, and not sure why the sysem didn't keep the file for my dumps today, just the ones that they experienced in the store while checking.

I would really appreciate your help, cause I can't tell how stupid and frustrated I feel after spending quite a lot of my hard earned money for one gaming system that I was very excited about, and not being sure if it's a melon, or just where the error (if there is any) is!!. Please, help me guys, I don't know what else to do.

P.S. Please mind that my AMD drivers and profiles may not be the last ones. That's not relevant, have tried others and the problem persisted.

P.P.S. At the store they told me that they didn't experience new BSOD after changing my RAM... I got one myself at home. Anyway, that means the dumps attached are previous to RAM changing, but because that didn't make the problem to disapear, I think they can be useful too.
"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception.

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lo...op-0x116-video_tdr_error-troubleshooting.html

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Temps are OK, technicians have performed stress tests, checked temps, benchmarks, tried components one by one, etc. No problem detected.

I also check the themps of the gpus from catalyst, and they are normal, never above 79 while playing (Shogun 2 can make systems run hotter than this).

The system is completely brand new, and all parts have been unplugged and plugged again several times, and no dust was seen.

What I am trying to say is that we just can't find any hardware malfuntioning and/or overheating. Also, remember that it happens when xfire is on (so far)

I am starting to think it could be a drivers/components incompatibility of some kind, but of course is you guys who know about it.

Anyway, I'll enable mini dumps and try to get more BSOD and post them up here. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Another thing.
I kept playing and monitorizing gpus temps, and found that they never went over 84 (at its peak). Crashes occured even with lower temps... I don't know if that can suggest an overheating from gpus.

True is that it only happens if I enable crossfire... Getting very same temps in other games didn't cause crashes... So it is a very "selective" overheating, seems to me.

For some reason, even after enabling small dumps, I don't get the files, only thing that happens now is a system reboot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question