BSOD: athrx.sys, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, while watching Hulu+?

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I need your help. I hate to post another thread for a problem that so clearly has solutions available via Google, but it happened again after I thought I fixed it, so, alas.

A little more than a month ago I got a blue screen while watching Hulu Plus. I gathered that the problem was with my Qualcomm Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter, so I updated the driver and things were fine for a couple weeks. It happened again (during Hulu+), so I double-checked the driver and found that I didn't update to the most recent version, so I did that and was fine for a few more weeks. I forget where I got the update from... it was some sketchy Czech website. Tonight it just happened again (yep, Hulu+), and since I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version (10.0.0.285... 02/14/14), I now have no idea. haha.

Any help at all would be appreciated. I've attached a .zip with the dump files. If there's anymore info needed please let me know. Thanks in advance... you guys are legends.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, HP Pavillion dv7.

Ad

Advertisements

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you allow Windows Automatic Updates? And do you have updates set to "treat recommended updates the same as critical updates"?

If so then Windows may be replacing your driver with one it thinks is correct, after you update it manually. Check that you have the desired driver installed and turn off "treat recommended updates the same as critical updates" in windows updates.

Note: this means periodically you should manually run Windows Updates and check for any drivers that you actually would want.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7Forums.

It appears that the crashes all point to your network card. However what Anti-Virus software are you using?

Also have you run HP support Assistant?

Code:
BugCheck D1, {fffff88005000000, 2, 0, fffff880061b1476}
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+d9476 )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck D1, {fffff8800afc0000, 2, 0, fffff880061d4476}
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+d9476 )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck D1, {fffff880061ff000, 2, 0, fffff88005af4e76}
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+c3e76 )
BugCheck D1, {fffff88005dff000, 2, 0, fffff88004cd9e76}
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+c3e76 )

Reaction score
Whoops, sorry, I guess I missed the notification email saying there were responses.

@TrainableMan That's very interesting and might explain why I've been able to go weeks between crashes. I've been keeping and eye on the driver, though, and don't think that this is the problem, but I still made the changes and we'll see what happens.

@Shintaro Norton 360... have had it for years. I read that a lot of virus software can cause crashes but I haven't seen Norton mentioned specifically. Will check out Support Assistant now.

Thanks guys, you're the best.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question