BSOD upon startup; can't get past it

Reaction score
We really need some help with our computer! My husband did two things before this occurred. 1) he deleted a driver that he believes was constantly popping up a message in lower right hand corner saying driver not detected or driver couldn't load (thought it was from Seagate backup drive). 2) Loaded a Microsoft automatic update.

It said the following:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Here is the technical info: STOP: 0X0000007B (0XFFFFF880009A9928, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

The computer will go to hp recovery manager in safe mode but we cannot get to windows in safe mode. We have tried to restore but it will not go through and all the diagnostics in hp recovery manager show all is ok.

If possible, would like to not loose data on hard drive. We attempted to backup with hp recovery manager and we think it worked as we have a list of wim files on a backup hard drive but we have never decompressed files before so we don't know for sure if we did it right.

Anyway, if someone could help guide us through this, we would be so thankful!
Thanks,
Danielle

Last edited:
Reaction score
Additional information: we tried to load minidump onto flash drive and load into our laptop (we can hardly do anything on the BSOD computer). I sought to compress files and am now attaching. Maybe this helps.....

Attachments

Reaction score
Sorry to keep adding information... whenever we try to run anything, all we get is a notepad with gibberish. Unable to download programs at this time.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is nothing in the minidump zip file.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also the STOP: 0X0000007B code say's that it is an inaccessible boot device.
This bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

Also you never really lose data unless you format the drive. There are ways to get your data off the disk if you need to replace the current hard disk.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you do not have a W7 Install DVD then you can use another computer to download a copy and burn it to DVD from links HERE.

Once you have that DVD you could do the Startup repair Shintaro linked to above.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. We will work on getting the Install DVD per your info and let you know.

Reaction score
I was not able to boot the DVD at start up. Computer seemed to ignore it and go to blue screen. I found this post that explains basicly what I did that messed up my computer. I was trying to get a device driver to stop trying to load. It was a Seagate Goflex backup drive that I had not used in a long time but tried to load driver everytime I stated my computer. The following is from the post I found because I don't remember exactly what I did but it is close to this. I was following some instructions somebody gave me online. I ran MS updates after I did this and the system crashed. Here is the post>>>
"I resolved the goflex not found or accessible issue by Noting the "GENERIC VOLUMNES" listed in device manager that had exclaimation points. There were several. I double clicked and went to driver device details to find out: what these drivers were and who built them. Each of them listed under description of the driver a DRIVER FILE Something like NCVol. sys which I traced back to NERO BACKUP drivers on my machine. I deleted all of these drivers in device manager
Next I went back to the windows system32 folder/drivers and gained administrative control and deleted the Nero backup drivers that were noted under descriptions in driver details.
WHAT I BELIEVE HAPPENED IN MY CASE IS THAT THE PROPER DRIVERS COULD NOT BE LOADED AS CONTROL OVER THE DRIVES WAS BY THE IMPROPERLY LOADED NERO DRIVERS. WHEN I DELETED THEM THE DRIVERS WERE ABLE TO LOAD.
Instantly when I again refreshed the device manager my lost usb drives showed up and ran perfect EXCEPT:
AND THIS IS THE REALLY BIG EXCEPT AND CAUTION:
I left to pick up my daughter and when I returned my machine had shut itself down presumably because of BSOD and could not restart. BIOS would load and hand off to WINDOWS 7 to the point of loading the device drivers and then it would blue screen and no matter what I did I could not get that to change."<<< END QUOTE.

That is basically what I did. I have run start up repair but is says it is off line. I have tried multiple restore points but they don't work. I ran HP hardware diagnostics and all hardware, memory worked and passed. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and no problems were detected. I have run everything on the Recovery Manager except the Recovery because ALL MY KIDS MEMORIES ARE ON THIS HARD DRIVE and I am desperate not to lose them. I ran almost everything on the Advanced Boot options screen (even though I didn't know what most of them do.) I am able to do the following: At Recovery manager I can hit Alt D to get a prompt and type Notepad which lets me see the drives. There are 4 now (used to be 2). I can see my stuff in the drives but it moves around to different drives when I go back into them. One time it says THE DRIVE is empty, the next time the data is there.??? there is a C: System drive, D: OS drive, X: Boot drive that was never there before and E: HP_Recovery Drive. If I try to run a DVD from the DVD drive it opens to notepad and is scrambled letters some dark some lighter. One looks like it is writing over the other all mixed together with a lot of symbols. The same happens it I try to execute Norton or Malware bytes. Computer will not go into safe mode or any windows and can't run any programs besides Recovery manager, as far a I know how to do. I'm a novice at this :)
Please help as this is our only family computer. thanks

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
A couple of things, what happens when you type explorer? instead of notepad?
What kind of computer is it? Model Number?

This might work:
When your computer first starts press the esc (Escape) key. It should take you to a small menu. One of the options is to select a boot device. Try selecting the DVD player with the Windows 7 DVD in the drive.

We need the model number to look up your computer hardware etc.

Reaction score
We tried the Windows 7 cd and this is the report from startup repair that we get:
Problem signature:
Problem event name: Startup repair offline
Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem signature 03: unknown
Problem signature 04: 21200783
Problem signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem signature 06: 26
Problem signature 07: CorruptFile
OS version: 6.1.7600.20.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Does this help?

Reaction score
Also, here is our computer info:
HP pavilion elite, HPE
Model no. HPE 380t
Windows 7 home edition
Intel i7
nvidia gforce

My husband says he is not completely sure the CD is running when we try to startup with disk. The dvd light flickers for maybe 2 seconds and then we get the blue screen

Shintaro

Reaction score
Do you see any of the images from this tutorial when you boot you computer?

Have you tried pressing the ESC key repeatedly when you first turn your computer on?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The 7600 would seem to indicate your computer did not even have Service Pack 1 installed so maybe you should try a W7 Install DVD without SP1.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry, I should explain about the esc key. On my HP Envy, I have to press the esc key to get to a menu that allows me to choose a boot option. Typically at that menu you will need to press the F9 key to boot from your CD/DVD Drive.

Reaction score
We got the DVD to be recognized finally at start up but it just brings up the System Recovery options screen which we were able to get before. Ran System Restore and Start Up repair again anyway It says that Explorer is not recognized as an internal external command, operable program or batch file. The prompt that comes up is an X: prompt but I tried to run it from a C: also. X:\Windows\RM>

If this helps…I went to D:windows\softwaredistribution\downloads and on the last date it worked the following were downloaded:

cd58908d09fa81a81d7030174bd0bfd9 3/3/2014 8:34am File Folder

afe8724b06db490e82e1c50e932ba6a5 3/3/2014 7:28am File Folder

b356e88e6992534de2e25d69d06dc02c 3/3/2014 7:27 amfile Folder

711769831ca1b207b66e3fd3d858ef24 3/3/2014 7:23 am File Folder

If I highlight these the pop up window says:

For the first one: Size 3.36 MB Folders: … Files:…

For the 2nd one: Size 6.31 mb Folders: cbshandler Files: Windows6.1-KB2830477-X64.cab

For the 3rd one: Size 3.93 MB Folders: … Files:…

For the 4th one: Size 3.69 mb Folders: cbshandler Files: …

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 7600 would seem to indicate your computer did not even have Service Pack 1 installed so maybe you should try a W7 Install DVD without SP1.
I know it used to have it before this happened. And was up to date on updates. I am able to get into Windows Updates but I dont know how to copy what it says. It was the last thing the computer did on 3/8/14.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, I just saw 7600 not 7601 in the Problem Signatures you posted above and thought maybe your install didn't have SP1.

Ask a Question