BSOD | System_Service_Exception 0x0000003b

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I've recently installed Windows 7 on my Inspiron 1420 laptop and I've been getting plenty of blue screens that I believe have to do with memory, however I could be wrong.

I previously had Windows Vista installed on my machine and I got blue screens on that system as well, some similar to the ones I've been getting, except now I've been getting them a bit more frequently.

Here is some information on the latest BSOD I retrieved from Blue Screen Viewer:

Bug Check String: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Big Check Code: 0x0000003b
Parameter 1: 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2: fffff880`02f4ee84
Parameter 3: fffff880`028f1f10
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000000
Caused by Driver: Npfs.SYS
Caused by Address: Npfs.SYS+7e84
Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0

On the bottom there are two items highlighted:

- ntoskrnl.exe
- Npfs.SYS

A long while ago, my computer began to run slowly, and after removing one of two RAM chips I had in the machine, and replacing just one of them with another RAM stick I had in another laptop, the system started to run faster again.

I believe the problem with these BSODs are memory related, but I can't be sure. I also cannot at the moment run a Memtest, and I'm hoping the information above can tell if indeed the memory is the issue.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

SP1 is already installed.
I'm not currently in possession of any CDs that I can use to run either an offline scan or Memtest, but I will try to see if I can get some.

Is there any way to tell if the RAM is the cause of the BSODs from the Blue Screen Viewer information above? I was hoping that that can at least identify the problem.

Ask a Question