SOLVED BSOD/crashes - Win7 64bit

Reaction score
Back when I was in the TERA open beta, I was getting BSOD's fairly regularly while playing. A few were MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. There was another that came up but I can't recall what it was. At this time I ran a Memtest and the results came back with no problems, so I assumed it had to do with the game itself or something since it ONLY happened when playing the game. Since the game's official release, I haven't had any more BSODs while playing, nor any BSODs at all up until recently.

That's just a bit of backstory that may or may not be relevant to my current problem.

So recently I've been playing a closed beta for an upcoming MMO whose name I cannot say due to the game's NDA.

ANYwho, ever since I've been getting some pretty consistant crashes and BSOD's, most while playing the beta, however a good chunk happen at random times, eg: right after a restart, or while launching firefox. It even reboot sometime during the day today, when I wasn't using the computer at all and had no major programs aside from Steam running in the background.

One of the BSOD's had ndis.sys listed at the top. The latest one had a stop code of 0x00000109.

I'll do another Memtest tonight and post the results. I'm also including my minidumps since the start of this year. I also filled out my profile page with my computer specs. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 forum.

My apologies for responding late to your post.

How was the RAM Memtest?

Things to update, would be your video drivers and ManyCam.

ManyCam_x64.sys Thu Mar 13 18:46:01 2008
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 forum.

My apologies for responding late to your post.

How was the RAM Memtest?

Things to update, would be your video drivers and ManyCam.

Hope this helps.
Heya, thanks for the reply. I haven't actually done the Memtest yet (keep forgetting to start it before I go to bed :eek:). I'll be sure to get that done tonight though.

ManyCam I'll actually uninstall. I installed it a while back when I was doing some video game streaming but have since stopped.

As for video drivers, I recently updated to the latest Nvidia drivers (301.42), I guess that was after the latest minidump in that zip I attached.

I actually have a new BSOD minidump. This one was last night, and again while playing that beta that I cannot name. It gave a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, which I haven't had since my problems during the TERA beta (which I believe was around April). After rebooting my BIOS halted giving a CPU temp warning. My CPU was running at 87 C.

Anywho, here's the newest minidump. Again thanks for the help.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT *usually* points to a hardware problem.
So it is important to get the RAM test done.
Also don't run the utilities from the motherboard manufactuer as they frequently cause crash's.
In regards to the over heating, obviously make sure fan's and heat sinks are free from dust etc. Then I would be looking at the paste between the CPU and the heat sink.
You can monitor you hardware temperature with hwinfo. It also logs all information. http://www.hwinfo.com/

EDIT: Also run chkdsk /r

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT *usually* points to a hardware problem.
So it is important to get the RAM test done.
Also don't run the utilities from the motherboard manufactuer as they frequently cause crash's.
In regards to the over heating, obviously make sure fan's and heat sinks are free from dust etc. Then I would be looking at the paste between the CPU and the heat sink.
You can monitor you hardware temperature with hwinfo. It also logs all information. http://www.hwinfo.com/

EDIT: Also run chkdsk /r

Hope this helps.
Memtest86+ is on pass 9, so far no errors. I'll leave it running while at work. I also had it run chkdsk after a reboot yesterday evening but since I left my pc while it was donig it's thing, when I came back it was at the windows login screen so not too sure if there was a results screen I missed or something. I got hwinfo installed, I'll have it running while I do some stuff tonight and see if the pc is running hot. Any other advice?

Reaction score
Well, it hasn't randomly rebooted on me since the day of my original post. And no crashes since that BSOD two nights ago, but I didn't get to do much last night.

Memtest86+ is on pass 16 with no errors, so I'll stop it there and see if it crashes on me tonight when I'm using it.

Reaction score
Well I haven't had any crashes over the weekend. hwinfo reports my CPU temp idling around 40C. Playing games pushes it up to anywhere from 65C to 75C, but that beta runs upwards of 86C-87C.

All those temps are from running the computer in a room temperature of about 22C-24C. Last week around the time of the BSODs we were having a heat wave, and I'm guessing the room could have gotten up to 30C at times, so I imagine while playing the beta the CPU could have easily gone above 90C.

As I said in my original post, there were 3 or 4 BSODs with different stop codes from the crashes last week, could those BSODs all be caused by the CPU overheating?

Anywho, as it stands I haven't had any issues since 5 days ago, so should I mark this thread as solved and just start a new one if something comes up again?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the temperatures. Maybe that is the problem. Also it would not be good to cook the hardware.
Maybe look at another case fan. But see which way the air flow is with the current fan. Then have an additional fan in the opposite direction, so that air is taken in with one case fan and extracted with the other.

Could be that the heat caused the problems.

But if your not getting any crashes.Mark it as solved.

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the temperatures. Maybe that is the problem. Also it would not be good to cook the hardware.
Maybe look at another case fan. But see which way the air flow is with the current fan. Then have an additional fan in the opposite direction, so that air is taken in with one case fan and extracted with the other.

Could be that the heat caused the problems.

But if your not getting any crashes.Mark it as solved.
Ok, marking the thread as solved. If it starts to act up again when the CPU temp ISN'T that high I'll make a new thread, but for now I'll assume it's a temp issue.

The case is a Corsair Graphite 600t, that comes with two 200mm and one 120mm fan. I built it so all the wires go along the back panel so there's virtually no obstruction for airflow, so I don't think there's much I can do on that front. That being said, I AM using the stock heatsink/fan that came with the CPU (i7 2600k), so I could definitely upgrade that if I have more heat issues, but as I said I haven't had a crash since that last one last week, and all of those crashes were during a heatwave here so the room my PC was in was somewhat warm (the room happens to be at the opposite end of the apartment from the AC) .

Anyways, thanks again for looking at the minidumps for me, and for giving me some ideas as to what may be the cause. :)

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yes, that would be a good idea to look for a better fan or other solution on the CPU. Most manufacturers put the cheapest fans they can get, that just does the job.

I am always happy to help.

Ask a Question