SOLVED Browsers for Win 7?

Reaction score
My Win 7 PC is due from Ebay near end of month, so I have started researching software I will need, in preparation for its arrival. I'm looking for browsers to replace Firefox and Chrome. Google searches so far has turned up Brave, Cyberfox, Cliqz, Opera, Slimjet, SRWare Iron, Torch, & Ungoogled Chromium. My Win 7 Home is 32-bit, so I left out Waterfox. If any others are compatible, please let me know

Reaction score
What is wrong with Chrome
The same thing that is wrong with Firefox, only to a more extreme degree.

There are Chrome/Chromium derivative browsers that are far less fixated on data-mining and privacy invasion, just as there are Firefox-based browsers far less obsessed with dictating what you are required to want, then forcing it on you...whether you want it or not.

Reaction score
Since posting I have settled on test driving Basilisk, Waterfox, Comodo IceDragon (Firefox deriviatives), Iridium, Advanced Chrome, Superbird, and Slimjet (Chromium deriviatives) on Win 7 Pro. In addition, I will be trying out Ungoogled Chromium and TOR browser on my MX Linux. The top four performers I'll keep, and the rest will get tossed. Considering just how low Firefox and Chrome has set the bar, I much doubt I'll have any trouble finding better.

It ain't just articles....it's atittude, performance, and other factors. Regarding atittude, there is not much difference between the two, and what little difference yet remains, is merely one of degree. Both Mozilla and Google firmly believe they have a gawd-given right to your data, to hide in telemetry and spyware, to stop you from changing settings, to lie about 'features' that serve only themselves (or their corporate sugardaddies), and so on. Performance wise, I'm not sure how Chrome is doing, since it has been useless on my XP Pro for over a year now, but it seems to be okay on the copy shop pay-for-play computers. As for Firefox 52.9.0, it sucks harder than an Hoover, and the current rendition ain't no better on the copy shop computers. Both versions are constantly freezing, crying 'Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close', then pretending to close, yet when you try to open it, the 'Firefox is still running' popup appears.

I have detested Firefox for years, but stayed with it only because the addons made it kinda/sorta tolerable. Now that Mozilla Mothership has decreed the sabotage en masse of the addons, and replacement by the infinitely crappy web extensions, I got zero reasons not to jettison it. As for Chrome, it's deriviatives does pretty much everything it does, and with little to none of its 'nosey nellie' phone-home 'features', so I got no reasons to hang with it. As for incognito mode, I never use it. No one is allowed to touch my PC, irregardless of their bra-size, or any other consideration. Between various addons like 'self-destructing cookies', apps like Cookienator, BleachBit and CCleaner, I doubt there is much left when I turn off the PC.

Ask a Question