Bolded Font on Internet Browsers

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having issues with the font display on all of my internet browsers (firefox, ie and chrome). The fonts are all in bold and they appear the same on all websites. Has anyone encountered this before? What should I do? I have even tried restoring the PC to a point before this started happening but didn't work.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Depending on the browser you're using, check the font settings in the Tools - Options section of Firefox or the General Section of Internet Options in Tools in Internet Explorer.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If happening on all your browsers, and this was a sudden change, then I would suspect this is a Windows issue, and not a browser issue, and my first fear would be malware. Have you scanned for malware?

What if you open a new Word or Wordpad document? How is that text?

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru2012,
I have tried doing that. But it didn't work.

Hi Digerati,
Text in Word and wordpad document seems fine. I do see the bolded text on the pop-up windows in Word (for example the Spelling and Grammar Check Window). I should probably run a scan on my PC for malware. It was a sudden change. I tried to restore the system before the change happened, but it didn't work. Thanks for the advice.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Please keep us posted.

Reaction score
Hi Digerati,
I have scanned my PC for malware and contained all that have been detected. However, I still see the same problem. And I just realized that on MS Excel, any entries on any cells are italic by default (with the Italic function disabled). Do I need to reformat my system? It is really an eye sore to see everything in bolded/italic form.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Reformatting is always the last resort because it creates a huge setback, potentially setting you month or even years behind in critical updates. You lose all your data and all your installed programs. Plus, you don't learn what caused the problem in order to prevent recurrence and finally, it may not fix it.

See the 3rd option here.

I am concerned that you said your scans revealed several pieces of malware. While most malware can be safely removed, there is often collateral damage not repaired once cleaned. Do you remember what your scans found?

Reaction score
Hi Digerati,

Thanks for your advice. Seems that I managed to solve it (more like partially solved it). I found out that some of True Type Font files (.ttf) were missing. This was actually by accident because after I installed a software, which requires courier new regular font, it keeps telling me that the font type could not be found.

So I just checked the available .ttf files and true enough, some of them were missing. I just copied the missing .ttf files from another windows 7 PC, installed them in the Fonts folder and voila, I could run my software. This seems to have solved the bolded font issue on my internet browsers as well. I will need to see what other .ttf files are missing.

Ask a Question