Network up, no browsers work (windows 7)

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a computer on my network and I can't make any browser on the machine work.

The machine is Win 7 HP 64b

I can ping various sites (like Google) and if I enter the site's IP in the browser, it works. I've disabled windows FW and AV. I've looked in the hosts file and repaired the network. Windows network troubleshooter finds nothing wrong.

The problem is not IE specific since it happens in firefox as well. I can use network resources by their IP address but not by DNS. The DNS settings are correct since all the machines on our LAN use the same ones and this is the only machine with this problem.

What I don't understand is that if I had a DNS issue, should PING also fail to resolve?

This is where I am stumped.

Rob

Reaction score
This is a long shot. I ran across something similar on a client's machine and it turned out the connection settings in both IE and FF were set for a local network instead of 'No Proxy'.

Ask a Question