"Startup.com" virus on all my browsers

Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching for a couple days trying to get this removed. Apparently it's some virus, it's in IE, Firefox, Chrome, any browser I use. Doesn't matter if I set the startup page to be blank, google, previous page - when I reboot the computer and open up any browers, it starts up with this "startup.com" page. I've researched and it is a malware program but I just cannot get it removed. I cannot detect it anywhere on my computer and malwarebytes does not detect it. Hijack this also does not detect it. I've tried the couple sites I found that had "instructions" on how to remove but they assume you can find a file to simply delete and I cannot detect it on my computer. Does anyone have anyway of getting rid of this? I'm about to toss this computer out the window. Thank you for any assistance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I always recommend this three-tool approach (RKill, TDSSKiller, & Malwarebytes) from safe mode, as explained at the start of my post HERE.

NOTE: If you have another active Anti-virus installed then make sure you do NOT enable the Malwarebytes Free Trial; you don't want two "active" anti-virus programs running in memory, you just need the passive (manually requested) scan.

Reaction score
Thanks trainable - I will give it a shot. I"ve already run windows Malicious software tool, malwarebytes, spybot and hijack this. Nothing detects it but from researching on the internet, it's one of those hidden exes. My computer has literally been running processes all day and I've been in and out of safe mode trying to find this file, still there. Doesn't matter what I do to my browswers, it pops back up when I reboot.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's important you run from safe mode & that RKILL runs before Malwarebytes because many viruses hide themselves and run multiple processes to protect each other. RKILL will attempt to stop that so that Malwarebytes can find them. TDSSKiller's part is to remove them from the startup commands.

Reaction score
Didn't work. Went to safe mode with networking, rkill says it deleted the thing but when I reboot, it's back. Tried it again, did the same process but rebooting returns it. I'm ready to toss this computer in the fire.​

Reaction score
Try again, but this time do a System Restore Point while still in Safe Mode to a time before the infection.

Ask a Question