Brightness

nof

Reaction score
eMachines laptop G520 control panel/display does not work and nor do some other features of control panel. I cannot adjust brightness other than being in a darkened room. The laptop came with Vista and I installed W7. I have another laptop running XP and no problems.

Any help is appreciated

nof

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
eMachines/Acer does not support Windows 7 for your laptop and apparently doesn't support 64bit even in Vista. You may be able to use W7 32bit and the 32bit Vista drivers but there is no guarantee. I am guessing this lack of W7 driver support may be why your control panel isn't working - the issue would be your Intel VGA driver. It is possible W7 used a more current but generic driver although you do mention you have a control panel which from the sounds of it looks like it always did but just doesn't function so I'm afraid I am back to the W7 isn't supported idea. Perhaps someone else has more constructive ideas, sorry.
http://support.emachines.com/em/driver/

By the way: Are you 32 bit? Did you do a W7 upgrade from Vista or a fresh W7 install? And before you upgraded, did you run the W7 compatibility adviser to check for issues?

Last edited:

nof

Reaction score
Thank you for the above. I could not abide Vista. Perhaps I could go back to XP
I have read eMachines introductory startup pamphlet but I need a bit
more time to take in the implications of incompatibility. Can you
suggest a course of action please?

I am 32 bit as is the W7 disk. I loaded it but can't remember how I
did it e.g. over Vista or a clean installation.

I am aware now why this laptop has so many little things which are
annoying. I haven't checked the eMachines Generic Users Guide as yet
but I am just about on to it.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge

nof

nof

Reaction score
The eMachines Users Guide does not deal with the incompatibility issue at all. I think that is a serious set back for users.

I am wondering what to do about it. I will have to delete W7 unless there are drivers.

nof

Ask a Question