My system brightness is low

Reaction score
I'm using Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. Suddenly i'm facing an issue with system brightness. I have tried to change with system brightness option, but issue not resolved. When i unplugged power cable the brightness is normal

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Some Inspirons have a setting in BIOS regarding this, and for whatever reason it can get changed on its own. I can't tell you what it is specifically because I don't have an Inspiron myself, but check your BIOS for any settings dealing with graphics/dimmers/power options. You can probably access it during boot by pressing F2, or some other key mentioned on-screen or in your manual.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On many laptops the Fn + Up arrow brightens & Fn + Down arrow darkens; you might want to try that as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for your kindly reply. But my concern is something different. My Dell laptop's brightness changes automatically when i put it on charging and when i unplugged it its brightness dim.
Is it happen in other laptops too?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
and when i unplugged it its brightness dim.
Many notebooks (they don't belong on laps so I say notebooks) have "Eco" or "green" modes to conserve battery power when on battery and one thing it does is reduce screen brightness. My Toshiba notebook does not use Fn keys, but has a special "Eco" key for that.

Bottom line: check your manual. I think Dell calls this feature "Power Save Mode".

Also, note you said in your first post, "When i unplugged power cable the brightness is normal" but then later you said when you unplugged, it was "dim". That's a bit confusing.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Also, note you said in your first post, "When i unplugged power cable the brightness is normal" but then later you said when you unplugged, it was "dim". That's a bit confusing.
He means that
- when the laptop is running on a battery, the screen is nice and bright, and
- when the laptop is plugged in and therefore off battery, the screen is dimmed.

Again, this can happen in Inspirons with BIOS settings getting changed for reasons unknown, as I tried to suggest, although he seems to have ignored it.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
He means that
- when the laptop is plugged in and therefore off battery, the screen is dimmed.
Ummm, I personally cannot make those assumptions since Justin's second post suggests the opposite - that it is bright on AC and dim on battery - which is the default on many notebooks.

So I think we need clarification before assuming.

as I tried to suggest, although he seems to have ignored it.
:confused:

Battery runtime is a key concern for notebooks. While there may be a BIOS setting that affects brightness, it seems odd to me there would be one that increases display brightness on battery (thus consume more power and decrease battery runtime) and dim when plugged in.

My Toshiba allows me to disable Eco mode so the brightness is the same on charger or on battery. But I cannot make it run opposite to standard convention. Of course Dell is not known for following industry standards, and we don't know the exact model Dell here, so I'm not going to assume this one does or not.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
A lot of Inspirons have a section called Display in BIOS which has two settings, Brightness and Brightness (AC), accompanied with set brightness levels which override the software settings in the OS. Sometimes these values get inverted. May not be his problem but it is a common issue and often solved by checking those settings.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
May not be his problem but it is a common issue and often solved by checking those settings.
Sure would not hurt to check.

Hurry up and wait now, until we get more information from Justin.

Reaction score
He means that

Again, this can happen in Inspirons with BIOS settings getting changed for reasons unknown, as I tried to suggest, although he seems to have ignored it.
Yes this is what i mean. Thanks Core for your help. I am able to change brightness in plugged and unplugged mode. But the scene is that i have to change it again and again for both modes as brightness changes.
Is there any way to do common settings for both modes?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My guess is you need to disable anything that suggests auto-dim or auto-bright.

Ask a Question