Brightness settings are reversed in Windows 7

Reaction score
The brightness settings under power options are reversed setting the brightness setting to the left (dimmer) brightens the screen and setting the gauge to the right which is supposed to make the screen brighter makes the screen dimmer is there a way in the registry or a program that can reverse this behavior?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your computer just came with a "darkness" control instead of a "brightness" control. The darkness control is working properly. ;)

See if it happens when you boot in safe mode. It's possible that another program or driver is also controlling screen brightness and the two are interacting.

Reaction score
I did some quick research and found that you are not alone. Do a Google search on the reverse brightness problem and you will have enough reading to keep you busy for days. Three things that popped out:
  • Many of the posts were by people who had replaced their screens. Apparently, there are differences in certain OEM screens that cause this problem.
  • It could be a defective ambient light sensor. If there is a setting to disable it, see if that solves the problem.
  • A number of people solved the problem by going into the BIOS settings and changing boot speed from "fast" to "normal".

Reaction score
I don’t think there is anything unusual controlling the settings its just a clean install of windows 7 along with the manufacturers drivers. Yeah I already did a search on such a problem, its probably to do with the lcd screen since I tried the other solutions and they didnt seem to work. I was hoping that someone might know how to change the registry so it would cause windows to reverse how it deals with the brightness settings, interestingly enough I tried an experiment by trying out windows 8 and for some reason that made the lcd screen work correctly but it would be nice for this to work on windows 7 too.

Ask a Question