volume and brightness bar missing

Reaction score
the volume and brightness bar used to pop up on the screen and all of a sudden they don't. They both still work when I use the buttons on my keyboard, but the bar doesn't show up on the screen any more. I've tried to change the quickset notification settings, but that didn't work. It says it's not active, so the settings will change once it's active again?

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010, windows 7. Please help.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open the Control Panel.- System. (icon view) or System and security - System.(Default view). It will show you in the middle of the window. (System Type)

Reaction score
Open the Control Panel.- System. (icon view) or System and security - System.(Default view). It will show you in the middle of the window. (System Type)
thanks, i checked and it says 64-bit, so now what?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did your laptop come with W7 or did you upgrade?

If you upgraded then have you ever seen the volume and brightness bar since the install, because it would be a Dell utility, not native to W7 and I only see a 32bit version listed.

I use 3RVX for my volume but it doesn't do brightness - that is controlled by my monitors built-in OSD.

Reaction score
Did your laptop come with W7 or did you upgrade?

If you upgraded then have you ever seen the volume and brightness bar since the install, because it would be a Dell utility, not native to W7 and I only see a 32bit version listed.

I use 3RVX for my volume but it doesn't do brightness - that is controlled by my monitors built-in OSD.
my laptop came w/ W7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have a restore point you could try? Or maybe the system repair disc (this is not a reinstall - just repair system files)?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You're absolutely sure you computer never made a restore point, some should occur automatically?

If you type "restore point" into the windows orb - search, you should see "restore system files and settings from a restore point"

Reaction score
You're absolutely sure you computer never made a restore point, some should occur automatically?

If you type "restore point" into the windows orb - search, you should see "restore system files and settings from a restore point"
You're right, I found it, and still didn't bring up the volume/brightness bar on the screen when I use those buttons on my keyboard :( I don't get what happened to it? They work, but I liked how that came up on the screen before :( Got any other ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Were there any restore points that could go further back?

Have you uninstalled any programs, features or services lately?

Have you run any registry cleaners? If so did you create a backup before allowing it to delete?

If you go to control panel \ programs and features do you see any programs listed there that include Dell in the title or as the publisher? If so please list them.

Reaction score
Were there any restore points that could go further back?

Have you uninstalled any programs, features or services lately?

Have you run any registry cleaners? If so did you create a backup before allowing it to delete?

If you go to control panel \ programs and features do you see any programs listed there that include Dell in the title or as the publisher? If so please list them.
No I don't see anything that says Dell

This is what I did do recently, but then had a problem and had to call a customer computer support place, they might have run a registry cleaner:

when I got my laptop, there was a note in it that I didn't see right away it says:

update to the latest computer bios and drivers. The computer bios and drivers are frequently updated. Once connected to the internet, follow these steps to ensure you have the latest version:

connect your computer to ac power
go to dell support website at support.dell.com
click drivers & downloads - select model
select the type of product in the select your product family list
select the product brand and select your product line list
select the model # in the select your product model list
click confirm
select the desired operating system; driver language category, and importance
a list of results will appear on the screen. click download now to download the desired driver or application
save the desired driver or application on your computer
run the driver or application that you downloaded and follow the instructions on the screen and restart your computer after the complete installation.

well when I did all that, it seemed like it was adding and deleting stuff, but then when it was restarting my screen when completely white and I had to take off the battery, and then the representative did some things (not sure exactly what, maybe did ran a registry cleaner like you were talking about; i know that he deleted unnecessary temporary files. he informed me that the steps that i performed that dell enclosed, he said I didn't have to do since i had windows 7 and that windows 7 automatically updates whatever needs to be updated. So not sure if that's when I lost the volume bar on my screen, I thought it still worked after that, but I can't remember now...I'm not sure.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then apparently you are still under warranty so I would contact Dell and explain that their rep did a restore last week and now you don't see the volume and brightness bars and ask if they can reinstall the program that runs that for you.

It's possible they did it - we are just talking about a program that runs in the background - you may even have it on the recovery disk. That's why I was hoping to find something in programs and features you could maybe "repair".

Reaction score
Then apparently you are still under warranty so I would contact Dell and explain that their rep did a restore last week and now you don't see the volume and brightness bars and ask if they can reinstall the program that runs that for you.

It's possible they did it - we are just talking about a program that runs in the background - you may even have it on the recovery disk. That's why I was hoping to find something in programs and features you could maybe "repair".
Hey Thanks! I didn't even think about the warranty, I forgot about that; I think it's because when I went on Dell's website seeing that if you're not you have to purchase their help. I called them and since I was still under warranty they helped me out for free and showed me which download for quickset I needed to download. Everything is working like normal/new again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's wonderful. I'm glad it's all worked out. :elefant:

Ask a Question