Bootmgr missing

Reaction score
Im trying to install Windows 7 on a laptop via a usb. I keep getting BOOTMGR is missing and thats all i get to. I have no windows installed so can use any recovery options?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your USB must to be bootable (you install the ISO to the flash drive with Windows USB/DVD tool) and your BIOS should be set to check the USB for boot up instructions. It sounds like either your USB stick is not bootable or the USB is not in your BIOS boot order

Reaction score
My working laptop im creating the usb is 64bit but my broken one is 32bit. Ive read this wont work and have to create a 32bit stick for it to work

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You probably understand this but I want to make it clear for others that may read this. There are 2 versions of the W7 ISO, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. You would definitely need the 32-bit version of the ISO installed on the flash drive to fix a 32-bit machine.

Also, in the reverse of your case if someone is using a 32-machine to try and create a 64-bit bootable USB they would need to download the file called bootsec.exe from Microsoft
SOURCE

Reaction score
So if im using a 32- machine i need to create a 32bit boot usb even though prior to this the machine im trying to recover was running 64bit? What, where , how to i use bootsec?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are building the bootable USB stick on a 32-bit machine it cannot make a 64-bit bootable OS by default because it does not have the 64-bit Bootsec. So first clarify, do you have the 32-bit W7 ISO or the 64-bit W7 ISO? And if you are using the 64-bit ISO then, are you trying to create the bootable flash drive on a 32-bit machine?

If you need the 64-bit bootsec.exe you will have to try and find it from the Microsoft website. I have 64-bit computers so I have never needed to get it separately myself.

Reaction score
I have now created win 7 iso 32bit usb on a 32bit machine.

The laptop im trying to recover is what i belive to be a win7 64bit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the laptop you want to recover is 64-bit then you need the 64-bit ISO and you need to create the bootable flash drive on a 64-bit machine or figure out how to add the 64-bit bootsec.exe

Reaction score
Ive tried to create a partion I'm the command prompt bit at 44% the hard drive starts making a constant clicking sound. Is this the end??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
most likely the hard drive is failing and will need replaced

Reaction score
Ok so ive replaced get and installed Windows 7. Only issue is its missing a few drivers including network adapter and ethernet controller so I can't get online to install drivers?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Use a different computer and go to the computer/MOBO manufacturers website and download the Ethernet driver (or wi-fi driver if connecting wirelessly) and copy to a flash drive, then update driver > browse to flash drive to install it on your fresh W7 installation. Once you have connectivity go back to the manufacturers site and get any other drivers you are missing or that have more current versions.

Ask a Question