SOLVED bootmgr is missing press ctrl alt del to restart

Reaction score
I know that there is probably thousands of these already, but I have been poking around since 3 PM now and I'm getting absolutely nowhere.
So, when I boot my computer, I see this message: bootmgr is missing press ctrl alt del to restart.
I checked that the system reserved partition was active(it was), I tried chkdsk I tried bootrec I even tried Startup repair.
None of this worked in the slightest.
I'm thinking of just fresh installing now but I don't want to lose any of my programs, documents or any data whatsoever.
It also looks like the BCD just doesn't exist on my harddisk and neither do most of the Windows boot components.
The only thing I think could have caused it was the fact that I installed ubuntu before the restart when this happened, which makes no sense because I installed it on a partition on a separate disk(An internal disk but still a separate disk).
Please help if you can.
Tell me if you need any extra info.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ubuntu uses a GRUB bootloader which messes up the Windows boot but I don't know enough about GRUB to know if it is possible to remove it without losing your information. Check out THIS. Good luck; I hope your data will be OK.

Reaction score
ubuntu uses a GRUB bootloader which messes up the Windows boot but I don't know enough about GRUB to know if it is possible to remove it without losing your information. Check out THIS. Good luck; I hope your data will be OK.
Thanks, but it appears I have been too obsessed with getting this error fixed to notice one of the partitions on my main disk (AKA my Windows partition) was corrupt, maybe now I have run chkdsk on it Startup Repair will recognize it and I can see if windows will actually boot now...

Also I don't want to remove GRUB and Ubuntu is residing on another disk anyway AFAIK.

EDIT: Startup repair found problems and apparently has "fixed" them, we shall see.
EDIT #2: Nope windows still doesn't boot.
EDIT #3: After running startup repair one more time it appears that I have indeed fixed the issue, I now need to see if Ubuntu will still boot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question