Booting from image

Reaction score
I am wanting to make an image/backup of the original c: drive (OS) before the computer is turned loose to my kids. I would like to make the system boot from the original image. This way the computer is ALWAYS in the new condition, free of anything they might view or download. I realize this will wipe out any files they create.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
An image or backup of the C drive is just that an image, it would have to be installed to work. That would take anywhere from 8-15 minutes minimum.

I may be mistaken here, but I don't think you can do what you're wanting to do without a lot of headache and hassle..

Yes an image could be made and stored on another drive internally. You would have to use a good backup program such as Acronis True Image or similar. Then you would create a bootup disc from Acronis and it would read and install that image you stored on another hard drive. That would probably take about 6-10 minutes or so.

Reaction score
EasyBCD 2.1
EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to taking control of your bootloader. EasyBCD extends and revamps the Windows Vista/Windows 7 BCD bootloader, and with EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring a dual-boot between Windows 7, Windows Vista, older versions of Windows such as XP & 2003, Linux, Ubuntu, BSD, and Mac OS X is a breeze. You just point & click and EasyBCD does the rest. EasyBCD is free for all private, non-commercial use. For non-private/commercial/for-profit use, please purchase a license from our online store.

EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just want to add an entry to your old XP partition or want to create a duplicate for testing purposes; if you're interested in debugging the Windows Kernel or septuple-booting your seven test operating systems, EasyBCD is the key.
  • Boot into XP/Vista/7/Ubuntu/OS X and more!
  • Boot from USB, Network, ISO images, Virtual Harddisks (VHD), WinPE, and more!
  • Repair the Windows bootloader, change your boot drive, create a bootable USB, and more!
  • Rename entries, set default boot target, change BCD timeout, hide the boot menu, and more!
  • Create your own custom boot sequence, hide drives on boot, backup and restore configurations, and more!

EasyBCD is used and/or recommended by Microsoft, PC-World, PC-Magazine, Softpedia, PC-Welt, Activision, and hundreds more! Don't get left out – download it today, it's free!!
How to Create and Configure a VHD in Windows 7
Windows 7′s VHD support will give users the ability to install any operating system that supports booting from a VHD into a VHD. For example, a user could have Vista installed on a single partition, and then have three files (VHDs) anywhere on that disk (or for that matter, on any partition that is readable by Windows) and be able to boot different versions of Windows 7.
I have not yet tested this theory but it looks promising. I am booting from ISO images with EasyBCD.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I,m not sure that is what the op is wanting, Cliff??

But, to add to Nibiru's post. Acronis will most certainly do the job but, of course, has to be purchased. Macrium, free, will also do it. Both are capable of making bootable/autoboot disks, sghoukld there be total startup failure of the OS.
You can download Macrium from the original site, or from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-Free/3000-2242_4-10845728.html

Ask a Question