Windows 7 Not Booting.

Reaction score
My main computer running Windows 7 Pro Does not boot when turned on. I tried spamming F8 and editing stuff in the BIOS Setup but it does not boot. I tried making it boot the Windows Setup but it did not boot the setup, just a black screen. Also, when i try booting it normally it shows the Normal Windows 7 boot animation, but after that it just shows a black screen. Its same with the Startup/System Repair.
Specs: Toshiba Satellite 660c with a Pentium 4 processor with 4gb of ram ( 2.96gb usable) with Intel HD graphics. that is all i know.
Please Help. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you have a warning message that your OS was not genuine? If so then that could explain why your screen is all black, your OS has been shut down awaiting a valid license.

If that is not the issue, then I suggest you boot up with the W7 Installation DVD and run "start-up repair" from the installation menu to see if that can resolve the problem.

Reaction score
No, i did not get that message. Before it happened it said "Windows is Genuine".
I tried to run the Windows 7 install disk but it still just showed a black screen.
Will it help by formatting the drive then have a fresh install?
Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you say you "tried to run the W7 Install disk" ... were you actually able to get the computer to boot to the DVD rather than your hard drive?

How long have you had the computer; in other words how long did it work before this problem started?

Reaction score
No, i did not get the PC to run the DVD. In the bios setup i made DVDs to boot first.
Once Again... Black Screen.
BTW. When it boots i am prompted to the " Startup Repair and Start Windows Normally " screen. so i choose Startup Repair, and it shows the Boot Animation, and once again.. Black Screen. It is the same when i try to boot normally.

I had the PC for 2 years now... it ran multiple Operating Systems... ( Not Dual booting )
it ran: Windows 7 Home Premium = System Failure, Failed to Boot.
Windows XP Pro = Got a Virus. nuff said.
Ubuntu = Worked, but i did not want to use it because of OS Lag.
Windows 8 Consumer Prewiew = Good, But Crashed all the time.
Windows 7 Pro = What we are talking about right now.

Thanks, Plz Help.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm at a loss. I suspect some hardware problem but I don't know what. Possibly a bad hard drive, or maybe an under-powered power supply so that your video card isn't getting enough wattage once windows starts and it actually demands more of your GPU.

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

Reaction score
Thanks for trying.
Could you tell me how to fix it the Non Genuine Windows way?
I would like try to fix it that way, just want to try if it works.
Thanks, Please Reply.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If windows isn't genuine then after 30 (or is it 60?) days, the boot is delayed slower and slower and the desktop is changed to all black as a nag for the user to buy a license and it is fixed when they enter the product key and activate. If your computer is activated then this is not your problem, sorry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not if it is a hardware problem ... but at this point it's probably your best option to try. After you reinstall, go to Toshiba and make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers.

Reaction score
Thanks, But i have one question.
How do i Format the Hard Drive when i cant access my os?
Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you boot to the W7 Installation DVD it has an OS, from its' menu you can drop to a command prompt and type
FORMAT C:

Ask a Question