Blue Screen of Death

Reaction score
Three BSOD in two days.

I've run a memory check and checked the disk for problems, but still having problems. Seems to be ws2ifsl.sys, but I don't have a clue about fixing it. What I find says to reinstall windows. I hope there's something easier.

I've attached the minidump file contents.

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please attach a zipped up copy of the actual DMP files.

Are to trying to print something with an HP Printer or plotter when it BSODs? If so, try updating your HP drivers.

ws2ifsl.sys is a windows system file and, if your windows updates are up-to-date, is not likely the actual issue.

Reaction score
BSOD

Thanks, Trainable Man. I wasn't printing, but did install a new HP plotter recently. I downloaded the drivers from HP, but will check for updates. This did happen after I installed the wireless plotter, though.

I've attached the zipped dmp file.

All my Windows updates are current, so that shouldn't be the issued.

Thanks again!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would definitely start with the HP Plotter. If you have the latest drivers then consider uninstalling them completely (for as long as you can go w/o using the plotter) and see if the BSODs stop. If that seems to fix the issue then I would suggest you contact HP support with your DMP & Bugcheck analysis and see if they can resolve it.

I also notice you have MBAM & Avast; make sure you have not enabled MBAMs free trial. The free trial makes it actively scan and it is never a good idea to have two active A/Vs installed because they can conflict. If MBAM is strictly passive (only runs when you manually trigger it) then that is fine.

Reaction score
I can do without the plotter from this machine until I can get it resolved. It's a wireless large format and we just installed it a couple of weeks ago. About the time I started having problems, but I wasn't plotting when it crashed, so I didn't connect the two. Duh...

The MBAM is the pro version and I don't think it's set to run all the time, but will check. I usually run it about once a week.

I appreciate your help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the paid Pro version IS an active scanner constantly monitoring your files in the background. I am not saying this is necessarily causing your BSODs but having AVAST and MBAM running could slow down your machine. Basically every time a file is accessed, MBAM would verify it is safe and AVAST would do the same thing. I don't know if they both have internet components to them but if they do then a similar double scan would happen with every webpage you open.

The BSOD is of the utmost importance so I would start with the plotter drivers but once that is resolved consider removing one A/V or the other. Maybe contact MBAM or AVAST support to ask their opinion on having both installed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've disabled the MBAM (I didn't know it was running the background).

I appreciate your prompt and most helpful replies and probably won't get back unless it continues after I remove the plotter drivers.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question