Bitdefender error - registry problems?

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I started a thread in the drivers section about a printer problem (epson TX110). While trying to fix it myself i ran ccleaner and since then i'm having trouble with my internet connection and bitdefender. Bitdefender doesn't run (other than a manual scan) or update (even manually), no errors show, it just doesn't load and the icon is gone from the toolbar.

I now also have to re-enter my WEP security key every time i reboot which is a little annoying. I've checked the "connect automatically" box but it doesn't help. When i visited "manage wireless networks" there are no networks shown, even though i'm connected to my network.

To top things off, ccleaner seems to have removed all of my system restore points. I'm having fun!

Extremely frustrated now. Help please!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Luke923, welcome to the forum! On your CCleaner configuration, do you have it checked to wipe the free space of your drive(s)? It comes preconfigured that way, and you must uncheck the option to wipe the drive(s) and MFT freespace.

CCleaner is normally a safe application, but when it wipes the drive, especially if you have it set to wipe it over three times (DOD), it will take your restore points with it. It's happened to me a few times.

Go back to "Options", then "Settings", you'll see what I'm referring to.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Luke923, welcome to the forum! On your CCleaner configuration, do you have it checked to wipe the free space of your drive(s)? It comes preconfigured that way, and you must uncheck the option to wipe the drive(s) and MFT freespace.

CCleaner is normally a safe application, but when it wipes the drive, especially if you have it set to wipe it over three times (DOD), it will take your restore points with it. It's happened to me a few times.

Go back to "Options", then "Settings", you'll see what I'm referring to.

Best of Luck,
Cat
Hi Cat, thanks for your reply.
I've used ccleaner on other machines and never had any issues but thanks for that advice, i've unchecked those options. Still having a few problems, bitdefender is gone from the toolbar and i cannot open it from it's directory, although it does appear to be running in the background. Still annoyed with having to enter my WEP security key every time i reboot also.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Check your firewall settings in BitDefender, the issue may be there.

Also, you can call BitDefender Tech support and they should be able to help you out.

I have used BitDefender in the past with Windows 7 and did not have any problems.

You might also check you wireless network properties settings in Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Wireless Network Properties and check to see if the box labled: Connect automatically to Network when in range.

Reaction score
Check your firewall settings in BitDefender, the issue may be there.

Also, you can call BitDefender Tech support and they should be able to help you out.

I have used BitDefender in the past with Windows 7 and did not have any problems.

You might also check you wireless network properties settings in Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Wireless Network Properties and check to see if the box labled: Connect automatically to Network when in range.
BitDefender will not open so i can't change any settings. Also, i have checked the box to connect automatically but it still asks me to connect to a network on every reboot and enter the security key.

Reaction score
HI Luke923

Have you tried re-installing BitDefender? Sometimes a re-install will fix issues.

Reaction score
HI Luke923

Have you tried re-installing BitDefender? Sometimes a re-install will fix issues.
I have reinstalled with no effect.

After i re-installed, in control panel-system and security-action centre, it says bitdefender is turned off, when i click the button to turn it on nothing happens.

Ask a Question