BIOS update

Reaction score
This was my first attempt at updating my BIOS. I used the ASUS EZ flash with in the BIOS itself. I can't thank enough my good mate from across the pond "Kemical" who walked me through this process.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad it went smoothly :). The EZ Flash method is a nice and simple way to do it - hard to go wrong (which is always handy!).

...this reminds me, it's been a while since I've done a firmware update for various bits of hardware! Time to do some searching I think :D.

Reaction score
You just gave me a good idea, never done that before:)
Seems like I'm doing the same Ian:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
BIOS updates are relatively quick but should the power go out while it is being done it can brick your Motherboard. It is recommended your computer be plugged into a UPS Battery back-up during BIOS updates. I have never bricked a MOBO but I am not looking forward to a first time either, best not to chance it if it can be avoided.

Reaction score
BIOS updates are relatively quick but should the power go out while it is being done it can brick your Motherboard. It is recommended your computer be plugged into a UPS Battery back-up during BIOS updates. I have never bricked a MOBO but I am not looking forward to a first time either, best not to chance it if it can be avoided.

Agreed. Although my experience's with UPS's have all turned out badly. It might just be the brand I was using...APC.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The 3 APC units I bought new all have worked flawlessly. I did buy a used one which was junk even after a fresh battery but I cannot know if that was the manufacturers fault or a previous owner.

Reaction score
Mine was a used one as well...you might be on to something there. How long have you had yours

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Probably 4 or 5 years. I think they recommend the battery be replaced after 3 years but it is still holding a charge and it does it's job to my satisfaction. I probably get 4 or 5 over/under voltage spikes a week and we loose power for a few seconds probably two or three times a month during storms; I know because I have to reset the stove, microwave, and alarm clock but the computer doesn't reset like it did before I had this. Only 2 or 3 times since I bought it has it actually shut down my computer automatically because the power was out for more than a few minutes.

The other two I bought protect my brother's computer and my niece's at their house.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have a Belkin UPS and it's worked fine for me for the last 6 years. I have to replace the battery last year. I was able to get a bigger capacity Amps/Hour because Belkin and some others makers put a styrofoam sponge block in them to take up the additional space in the battery compartment.

I bought my battery from an outfit in Tuscon AZ that specializes in UPS sealed lead-acid batteries and I was able to get nearly double the capacity of my old one for about $28 including shipping.

TM is right though that the average life is about 3 years, the one I got has guaranteed 5 year life on it.

Reaction score
The EZ Flash method is a nice and simple way to do it - hard to go wrong (which is always handy!).
Can you please give me a direct link for that EZ Flash, I cant find it the correct one

Whats his latest version?
Do I have to install it, or just run it?
Is it easy to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You will need to download the BIOS version for your PC and then use the utility within your System BIOS to update itself.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Multex you might just try this tool from MSI for your board. It should tell you any updates available.

But here are the BIOS for your board. You only want the latest one (7586v1B.zip March 3, 2011 is the latest as of the time I posted).

Reaction score
Aren't BIOS updates now self flashed? (like you don't have to do anything)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Aren't BIOS updates now self flashed? (like you don't have to do anything)
Not really, though a few are. Most up-to-date mobos have that feature, as mentioned above, where you can go into the BIOS and point the update application to the area on the hard drive where the BIOS firmware bin file was downloaded to.

Ask a Question