Best version of Win 7 for me

Reaction score
I plan on going to Windows 7 this week. I think the Home Premium is adequate for my needs. I do not anticipate a need for XP Mode, though I do have one question.

I am an Independent Access Developer and on occasion I may visit the site of a client running a network with a dedicated file server. I understand there is some sort of advantage in having Windows Pro when connecting to a network, though how much of an advantage I can't really tell. Is it still possible to connect to a network using Home edition, but just not as convenient?

I am doing a complete and clean install this week, upgrading from XP. This is a pain, but needed. If I buy Home and decide to go to Pro later, will the transistion be easier?

Thank you

Reaction score
Windows 7 Home Premium cannot connect to a domain. A domain is a network controlled by a server which pushes updates and settings down to the client machines when they log on.

It is unlikely that this client is running a domain, but you should ask before you jump into Home Premium, as at least Professional is required for Domain support.

Now, upgrading from Home Premium to Professional is as easy as popping your DVD in and activating the "anytime upgrade" feature from the start menu. :) Shouldn't take more than an hour, but you'll have to pay the difference between Home and Pro.

Ask a Question