Best Anti-Virus Software?

Reaction score
KIS 10

Guys i spoke to Kaspersky earlier today, version 10 for win 7 is ready and available for download as of today

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Pete

Whats the footprint and Ram use like in version 10 for Windows 7 ?

Reaction score
It's a shame Kaspersky costs more and is inferior to Avira and Avast, both of which are free.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Maybe so ... i use Vipre and recommend it, its not freeware but i believe its worth it ;)

Reaction score
im currently using

I'm currently using an very simple defense:
- FULL BACKUP every 2 wks on home server
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Sandboxie for web surfing

Reaction score
Yes, I've also managed to run it with MS Security Essentials at the same time with no clashes.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using Avast! for two years now and it's an excellent product, lite on resources, and as long as you set the program update to Automatic, you don't have to babysit it. An A-1 anti virus. MSE is on the scene for everyone who is XP and above, I'm trying it out on my Win 2K Pro/XP Pro laptops, and so far I'm impressed with it. Looks a lot like Windows Defender (a RAM hog), but it's through and reliable so far. Right now, I'll give it a B+. With all of the choices today, there is no need to pay a cent for quality protection. The anti virus industry has never received a cent from me, although with MSE you indirectly pay because your system must validate before the install will proceed. And I can agree with that and respect Microsoft's stance on that. I strongly stand against software piracy. And too, those who run pirated software puts themselves at strong risk for viruses, and what's even worse, spreading them among all of us. The majority of the time that my laptop got hold of a virus was on a forum where someone creates a post to click onto, and there it is. Avast screaming at me to abort connection over a trojan horse. These people know that they are running cracked systems and have the balls to get on a forum to ask for help. Alright, I'm going to stop now, because I'm running the risk of getting off topic, although I'm discussing viruses here. I have my opinion of the best anti virus, and you all have yours. As long as you are comfortable with what you have and are using it, and staying clear of bad sites, that's what matters the most. That's the bottom line.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How do you know you have a virus? Given the way things are going these days, most people get spyware, and there ain't no such thing as spyware protection, especially from an AV program.
I find this to be a somewhat superfluous and mis-leading statement, since nearly all the top-rated AV programs and internet security programs have anti-spyware protection automatically incorporated into the program.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I know that MSE has built in spyware protection, as well as anti virus. It is a lot of protection for the price you pay: A simple validation check to make sure you're running a genuine version of Windows 7, Vista or XP (home or pro).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I know that MSE has built in spyware protection, as well as anti virus. It is a lot of protection for the price you pay: A simple validation check to make sure you're running a genuine version of Windows 7, Vista or XP (home or pro).
And it works very well Cat ... sorted out a Trojan on my wifes Computer she picked up and it was stopped in its tracks and removed :)

Reaction score
Try AVG 8.5 or V9 they work great no problems haven't had a virus since I installed W7 which was around christmas. They work well along side Spybot-SD and Windows Defender.

Reaction score
Try AVG 8.5 or V9 they work great no problems
I did try AVG about six months back and after two days of computer slowness AVG had to go. I now have A-squared Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials loaded without any noticeable slowness. If I decided to try another Anti-Virus program, it would probably be "Avira" after hearing others speak for the program. I have heard allot of negative reports about AVG as well as my own. I have only heard positive reports about Avira.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I've been messing with the trial versions of ESET Smart Security 4 and Avira Premium Security Suite.

Both do a very good job, ESET tends to run quietly in the background while Avira is more inquisitive about applications and such.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Although MSE is my main choice of virus and malware protection, I use Avast on Win 2K Pro. The user interface has changed, no longer that "car stereo" look (that I liked). It appears with this upgrade, they're trying to push their paid programs. Whereas you appeared fully protected with the prior version, this new one will have to prove itself to me. Until MSE, Avast served me well, I only hope that this upgrade didn't water down the protection level. If I have any doubt whatsoever, I'll switch Win 2K to Avira.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Although MSE is my main choice of virus and malware protection, I use Avast on Win 2K Pro. The user interface has changed, no longer that "car stereo" look (that I liked). It appears with this upgrade, they're trying to push their paid programs. Whereas you appeared fully protected with the prior version, this new one will have to prove itself to me. Until MSE, Avast served me well, I only hope that this upgrade didn't water down the protection level. If I have any doubt whatsoever, I'll switch Win 2K to Avira.
I have always liked Avast (free) i just hope Alwil have not messed it up .... please let us know Cat :)

Ask a Question