Best Anti-Virus Software?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
thats fine but what about those of us who are paying for the service? i cant use mse in the uk, i cant use onecare on my win 7 machine, and im about to run out of time on the free trials. what am i supposed to do in the meantime?
Avira and AVG both work with Windows 7 and they are free :)

Cat

Reaction score
I'm using Vipre (soz its retail) and it works fine in Windows 7 and i did not use any compat mode to install :)

Click on image to enlarge

Reaction score
I use avg free and threatfire never had a problem yet, and both work great in Windows 7

Reaction score
kaspersky kis 2010 is the best one but its far not cheap thou

Reaction score
i am using NOD32 ANTI VIRUS 4 now on my laptop with Windows 7 rc, and it works great, but how can i realy tell if it is working, it aint found any VIRUS, does this mean it is working or not ? ugh

Reaction score
How do you know you have a virus? Given the way things are going these days, most people get spyware, and there ain't no such thing as spyware protection, especially from an AV program.

Reaction score
I'm searching for a bit of advice: I have had problems in the past because AV programs have picked up a certain file as a virus, when it never is. (I am sure because it is the exe file for I game I have played for nearly a year with no problems from a well known publisher).

McAfee picked it up back in XP, but I had to disable it when I played the game and it was easy to restore things. Now, AVG picked it up and wouldn't let me restore it as Windows wouldn't let AVG restore files. I had to re-download the game, which took several hours. (Plus, I hate the UI on AVG)

Does anyone now a free, AV program that doesn't pick up files by accident, and has all the options in front of me that won't clash with Win7?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Not much help but most AV programs may give a false positives (but I'm with Cat as i use Vipre as well), you have to pay for it but its a great program :).

Reaction score
For the last few years I've used Norton Internet Security, and been perfectly happy with it. It's not free, but it does a very good job.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
And i think thats important DallasDad the best Anti-Virus is the one you use and your happy with because whatever you use someone will tell you theres is better ;)

Reaction score
I myself use Antivir Premium

As for the threat title "Best Anti-Virus Software" I don think there is one AV you can single out for that. Different AV use different methods of detection and all have different false positives and misses. Some may be better than others in certain areas yes, but I do not belive that any AV is perfect.

whatever you use someone will tell you theres is better
That is very true, what one man hates another man adores. I myself am not a fan of Norton but that does not mean to say that their products are crap. With the volume of sales both commercially and privately they must be doing something right. At the end of the day if you are happy with what you got then that is the most important thing. The second most important thing is safe browsing and common sense, combined with a decent AV this will go a long way in helping prevent any infection.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm searching for a bit of advice: I have had problems in the past because AV programs have picked up a certain file as a virus, when it never is. (I am sure because it is the exe file for I game I have played for nearly a year with no problems from a well known publisher).

McAfee picked it up back in XP, but I had to disable it when I played the game and it was easy to restore things. Now, AVG picked it up and wouldn't let me restore it as Windows wouldn't let AVG restore files. I had to re-download the game, which took several hours. (Plus, I hate the UI on AVG)

Does anyone now a free, AV program that doesn't pick up files by accident, and has all the options in front of me that won't clash with Win7?
Give Avira a go and see if it still marks that exe file as a virus. It's not possible to totally eliminate false positives, but they should be quite rare with a good scanner. It is possible to piggyback a virus on to a normal exe file, so I would look in to this a little more if another scanner also detects a virus on this file.

Reaction score
It is possible to piggyback a virus on to a normal exe file, so I would look in to this a little more if another scanner also detects a virus on this file.
I have re-downloaded this game several times, yet scanners still pick up the file. It is from a publisher I trust, and I have never had any problems with the game. I think it is because it needs credentials to use, and it just makes alarms bells ring with AV programs. But I'll give Avira a go.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
What is the game your having this problem with Sycthus ?

Reaction score
War Rock, it is published by Gamers First. I am beta testing another game for them, and I trust their software.

BTW: I decided not to try Avira as it doesn't have an e-mail scanner, which I feel is quite important.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Try Avast Home Edition (freeware) has mail scanner and more >

Link for Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Avast Home Editionis an excellent free antivirus. Although its funky media player style interface is not to everyone's taste, skins can be downloaded for free, such as the MacLover OS X skin. Avast is the least restricted antivirus out of the three, with both spyware removal and antirootkit capabilities, full real-time capabilities, including web, e-mail, IM, P2P and network shields, as well as boot-time scanning. Avast is fairly light on resources, and is also the only antivirus to continue support for older Windows platforms. Avast can be set as a set-and-forget solution through the use of their Silent Mode ("Customize" under the detailed settings for On-Access Protection Control), where malware is automatically removed.

Reaction score
I decided not to try Avira as it doesn't have an e-mail scanner, which I feel is quite important
The paid version of Avira (Antivir Premium) does come with email scanner onboard. The free version does not.

Ask a Question