begging to use cmd prompt

Reaction score
after trying to find some tutorials on the cmd prompt in windows7 im not to sure and just uncertain what to do also if i will mess up my machine,delete folders ,mess with the registery so im wanting to find a safe way to use it and practice as ive heard there can be many benefits with useing it

• so im looking for some good tutorials
  • basic command prompts
  • and the structure of the commands
  • also how to use safely
thanks in advance also sorry for all the newbie questions aswell:)

Reaction score
after trying to find some tutorials on the cmd prompt in windows7 im not to sure and just uncertain what to do also if i will mess up my machine,delete folders ,mess with the registery so im wanting to find a safe way to use it and practice as ive heard there can be many benefits with useing it

• so im looking for some good tutorials
  • basic command prompts
  • and the structure of the commands
  • also how to use safely
thanks in advance also sorry for all the newbie questions aswell:)
I think you're being overly cautious. You can't really cause too much damage to the registry unless you're carrying out registry specific commands. I would advise you to stay away from those until you're more comfortable with the basic DOS commands. (Also do not "mess" with your registery PERIOD unless you know what you are doing -- that rule applies for the command shell, or ANY OTHER utilitiy that makes changes to the registry).

The command shell is not difficult to use. I primarily use it to carry out DOS commands. - so it does require some basic knowledge of DOS commands. For a complete list of DOS commands and proper syntax, look here. There is another command (Robocopy) that is not listed in that URL link - because it was never part of the original DOS operating system. You can always type 'robocopy /?' at the command prompt for help. (do not type the apostrophy).

You need not worry too much about wrecking your system. Many of the original DOS commands (especially those dealing with remove or deleting operations) will prompt the user for confirmation before executing the command. However it's advisable that you make a backup copy of the files you're working with in the command shell.

Also Google up DOS commands - you will see a lot of websites explaining how to use DOS commands in clear detail.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you type help at the command prompt, you will get a long list of the most common commands. (including robocopy) you can then query them individually, which will give you detailed information on each. eg:
robocopy /?

Ask a Question