Backup your Hard Drive with Acronis

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll 2nd that recommendation! Acronis True Image is well worth having, and thankfully many people can download it for free if they have a WD/Maxtor/Seagate drive.

There are other free alternatives, but if you have a HDD from that list I would go for this application.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I tend to think there are two main players in backup software, Acronis and Paragon each make quality programs, my self i have used Acronis True Image from i think it was number 8. The ability to backup the complete OS and reinstall from a backup archive has saved me on more then one occasion. Thanks for the links Clifford :cool:

Reaction score
+1. Acronis True Image is easily the best archival solution available.

Reaction score
Maxblast 5 and Seagate Disc Wizard are the same program. They work fine on my 7 x64 system.

I think you will find they are cut down versions of ATI 11.

The WD version appears to be a cut down of TIH 2009.

A lot of issues with TIH 2009 and 7 according to numerous posts.

A smaller, faster , free imaging app. is Macrium Reflect free.

Works perfectly on 7 x64.

Works with all HD brands.

Allows mounting and scheduling.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Macrium is my preferred imaging app. by a large margin.

Paragon will soon be releasing Drive Backup 10 - word is it will include the ability to alter backup priority - making it faster if required. Something they never had before - that would make it a real contender for top spot with Macrium.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I do like to try out new software .. (well new to me because if you don't try it you will never know, and I'm not one to say Oh this is all i use and I'm not going to change) so thanks SIW2 i will be giving Macrium Reflect free a run :)

Reaction score
BE CAREFUL with Acronis True Image WD Edition!!!

-1000 for Acronis True Image WD Edition from me.

I just tried to use the clone feature to clone a WD velociraptor drive onto another to replace my boot disk.

Everything was going well, that was until it required a reboot to continue the clone process.

THIS TOOL caused my system to not boot.
I had to restore from backup.

Microsoft's tools for fixing boot issues could not repair my C: drive. I HAD to do a complete restore... YIPES!

Pretty disappointing - and if your not adept at creating backups and seeing the potential downsides - DON'T USE THIS TOOL!

FYI!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Grotto, a common issue is a messed up boot sector. Simply install the original W7 DVD and run repair.

Reaction score
Thanks every one for all the info. One of these days will know something about these things. Take care and have a great day to all James

Ask a Question