VSS and SPP problem when ran backup to external hard drive and Volume Shadow Copy Ser

Reaction score
Dear friends,
I encountered a problem that i can not backup my system by using backup and restore function in win7. I had it done before and i have a backup image in my external hard drive. Several days ago the system tried to backup again due to the set backup schedule, but it failed all the time.
Firstly popped up a window saying that: "A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP", application event logs for more information. Details: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information. " and offering two options: 1. Try to run backup again, 2. Change backup settings. Because failed for the first one, so i clicked on the second one and another pop up:
"The backup application could not start due to an internal error: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information. (0x80042302)."
I searched the internet for solution telling that, like, start Volume Shadow Copy Service in Service, increase the space in disks for system protection, and reboot the computer, etc. I think i tried that all, but the problem is not solved at all.
Also, i tried restoring the system by using restore point, it failed again.
Is there anyone could help? Very appreciated!

Reaction score
My OS drive still has more than 30GB space left, and the external drive has 295GB left.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then you will need to follow the instructions on that website and keep searching deeper and deeper into the errors until you find it.

Reaction score
I found these. I don't know whether these are deep enough.
VSS error:ID 13
Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server

with CLSID {faf53cc4-bd73-4e36-83f1-2b23f46e513e} and

name VSSEvent cannot be started. [0x80070424, The specified

service does not exist as an installed service.]

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data
Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
Execution Context: Requestor
Current State: GatherWriterMetadata

VSS error:ID 8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling

routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80070424, The specified

service does not exist as an installed service..

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data
Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
Execution Context: Requestor
Current State: GatherWriterMetadata

VSS error:ID 12342

Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x80042302, A Volume

Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected

error.
Check the Application event log for more information.
was encountered while trying to initialize the Registry Writer.

This may cause future shadow-copy creations to fail.

VSS error:ID 12346

Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x80042302, A Volume

Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected

error.
Check the Application event log for more information.
was encountered while trying to initialize the Registry Writer.

This may cause future shadow-copy creations to fail.

VSS information: ID 8224

The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you TrainableMan!
I don't have the "COM+ Event System" service in my Services window, but I have "COM+ System Application". Are they the same? And I can not get "COM+ System Application" service started saying that "Windows could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."
So far so frustrated :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Maybe try setting it to automatic? Reboot. Then try backup. See if you get the same or a new error or Microsoft-forbid it works.

(I've never had this problem. I'm just searching the web and now I'm guessing.)

Reaction score
Thanks TorrentG.
I have many software installed, and many documents, will they be gone then?
In addition, at the beginning of my system, it is a Windows Vista (OEM), then the company gave me a CD (non-comercial, i think) for free upgrading to Win7, so maybe i don't have the Win7 Product Key (but i need to double check later), if in this case, what am I going to do? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you use the Repair disc your software & documents will NOT be gone. The repair disc only fixes system files.

The repair disc is NOT the W7 disc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey!
I have the problems fixed by using the Win7 upgrade method. It's nice. It would not have the documents and programs gone. But so far some programs were influenced, like Nero and Cubase. I did not check all the programs i intalled, so if any other influenced, I'll get back here. Thank you very much guys!!

Ask a Question