Backup Image

Reaction score
Just as a matter of interest when restoring the backup image created in W7 and you have replaced the HD with a larger one. Will it utilize the full space of the new HD or create a partition the same size as the old smaller drive

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
IF I were doing it I would create a partition the same size as the previous one the image was taken from and use the rest of the hard drive space a another partition for downloads, docs, photos, audio, video, etc.

Reaction score
I never use partitions :eek: :D I always use another drive if I want it separate :)

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Can I partition my hard drive now, after I have installed win 7?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It should not care that your HD is bigger; it won't create a partition on it's own.

Kalario, yes. Administrative tools ... disk management ... right-click and shrink existing ... then allocate the free space

Reaction score
It should not care that your HD is bigger; it won't create a partition on it's own.
Yes this is what I was thinking as well. I however remember one of the older application I used would restore the drive to the exact same size as what it was imaged to even if the new drive was bigger.

Reaction score
I however remember one of the older application I used would restore the drive to the exact same size as what it was imaged to even if the new drive was bigger.
This is what happens when you recreate the drive sector by sector.

However Windows 7 will allow you to stretch out the partition to the full size of the disk after you have restored the partition. So in all fairness it really doesn't matter which approach you take. Windows 7 will give you the options to acquire the same end results.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Can I partition my hard drive now, after I have installed win 7?
Yes you can through the Disk Management section in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.
Shrink the volume or partition, then create a new partition with the free space.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Yes you can through the Disk Management section in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.
Shrink the volume or partition, then create a new partition with the free space.
Thanks Nibs and Trainable Man,

Is there a tutorial on how to do this? As you may know not everyone (including me) is a computer guru and we need a little help, as in a step by step process.

Thanks!

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I now have 2 partitions. How do I move my programs from the (C) drive to the new partition I created (G). Is it by simply moving the 'Programs File' folder from one drive to the other? Just a grag and drop? then delete from the C drive?

Or should I not bother, just leave the OS and my programs on the C drive and use the new partition for my documents, pics, music, etc...?

Any recomendations?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I now have 2 partitions. How do I move my programs from the (C) drive to the new partition I created (G). Is it by simply moving the 'Programs File' folder from one drive to the other? Just a grag and drop? then delete from the C drive?

Or should I not bother, just leave the OS and my programs on the C drive and use the new partition for my documents, pics, music, etc...?

Any recomendations?

Thanks guys
I would highly recommend against moving the programs to another partition. Unless you really KNOW what you're doing, your programs won't work properly.

Some "uber geeks" do this when installing the program software but I have always avoided it since it's really not necessary and as long as you have plenty of hard drive space.

I use the extra partition for downloads, photos, audio files, video files, docs, etc.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I would highly recommend against moving the programs to another partition. Unless you really KNOW what you're doing, your programs won't work properly.

Some "uber geeks" do this when installing the program software but I have always avoided it since it's really not necessary and as long as you have plenty of hard drive space.

I use the extra partition for downloads, photos, audio files, video files, docs, etc.
Thanks Nibs, that's what I'll do.

Ask a Question