Backup formation of win7 pc.????

Reaction score
hi guys...
i am using widnows7 x64 ultimate...n i need a solution...
is there any software.which can make backup of all OS+drivers+softwares,and i dun have to install OS,it just run n make image...like once norton ghost used to do...does it still work with win7 or there is something better than this...
i want something same for vista too...cuz i have to install vista,then sp1 n then sp2 as i have only vista not integrated service packs...plz help...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use Acronis True Image Home. It's an excellent backup image software and is very fast.

It will make a backup of your entire C drive and then stores it on an external hard drive, or however you choose to store it.

Go to: www.acronis.com

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz.

I love the Paragon stuff. Specifically the adaptive restore feature that can be found on Backup & Recovery 10 Suite. One of these days I will pull the trigger and purchase it.

Another program that gets talked up a lot by my friend is Casper.

http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/

Reaction score
I have just purchased a pc with Win 7 home premium. It is for our history library and purchased with a grant so I am limited on funds.
The boss purchased the hardware to go with the computer and the salesman didn't remember to tell him that it needed 32 bit.
I was purchasing hi end for archiving purposes so got the 64 bit version. Now the salesman says I need to install the 32 bit version os because they will not be providing a 64 bit driver for unknown time. I am being told by the computer dealer that I have to buy the disk for the computer (it came installed originally) and then I will have to purchase the 64 bit again later. When I do the install of 32 bit will it erase what is on the recovery portion of the disk? Is it possible to do a backup of the 64 bit version before installing the 32 bit? Then when the vendor has a 64 bit driver can I reinstall 64 bit from backup? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I was purchasing hi end for archiving purposes so got the 64 bit version. Now the salesman says I need to install the 32 bit version os because they will not be providing a 64 bit driver for unknown time.
1. So what I can tell from your post is that the computer is 64 bit hardware right? Since really there is no more 32 bit CPUs being made anymore.

2. What is the 64 bit driver that you need for the system? If you could give more information, we will probably be able to help you better.

I am being told by the computer dealer that I have to buy the disk for the computer (it came installed originally) and then I will have to purchase the 64 bit again later. When I do the install of 32 bit will it erase what is on the recovery portion of the disk?
1. No you really don't have to buy another disk for the 32 bit or x86 version of Windows 7 Home Premium. I'll assume that the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit came pre-installed on the computer? If so, there should be a COA label on the case, (Certificate of Authenticity) usually on the back or side of the case. The product key is printed there as 5 groups of 5 alpha-numeric letters or numbers. That key is good for either the 32 bit version or the 64 bit. However, you can only use ONE version per product key at a time. Either the 32 or the 64 bit, but not both at once.

2. You can download the Official ISO images from the links below. Then you can burn the ISO to a DVD with ImgBurn at 4X speed to avoid any burning errors.

These are for people who already have the FULL RETAIL versions and want a backup copy. You'll still need a GENUINE MS PRODUCT KEY to activate the install.

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

The x86 or 32 bit version is about a 2.4GB ISO image file size. Use ImgBurn to burn the ISO file to a blank DVD disc. You might want to do the same for the x64 version also. Burn at a slow speed to avoid burning errors, anywhere from 4x - 12x speed should be okay. Then have ImgBurn verify the burn to be sure it went okay.

3. In order to install the 32 bit version you WILL have to do a clean install only. It is not possible to do an "upgrade" install from 32 to 64 bit or vice versa. It will not erase the "recovery partition" unless YOU choose to delete that partition during install. However, it will basically be useless to you anyway since you'll be on a 32 bit OS.

Is it possible to do a backup of the 64 bit version before installing the 32 bit? Then when the vendor has a 64 bit driver can I reinstall 64 bit from backup? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Yes, Windows 7 will allow you to do that. It's best to backup to an external hard drive, if possible. If not, then to several DVD blank discs.

Reaction score
One could switch drives to save the install that is currently on the drive. Install the other bit version to a new drive.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
One could switch drives to save the install that is currently on the drive. Install the other bit version to a new drive.
Ah Yes! Obi Wan! I forgot completely about that option.

May the FORCE be with you! :adore:

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your assistance.
I do have an external hard drive for that system specifically.
I have gotten the COA from the CPU.
I have Genuine Windows 7 Home Premiun 64-bit. It came preinstalled.
So, if I download the 32 bit now and install it, then when I am ready, I could use the backup drive to install 64 bit? Am I correct.
The hardware I am trying to use is a ST200 AM Motorized film carrier by S-T Imaging, Inc. The vendor say the producer has no plans to make it compatible to 64 bit in the near future.
I don't recognize your terms Imgburn at 4x speed.
I have not used a dvd burn where I told it speed. So I will need to figure that out.
I have Lightscribe 16xmaxDVD+/-R/RWSuperMultidrv.
It sounds to me like you are saying to download the ISO images to hard drive and then I should copy to DVD - Do I understand that correctly?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So, if I download the 32 bit now and install it, then when I am ready, I could use the backup drive to install 64 bit? Am I correct.
Yes, download the 32 bit ISO image file and use ImgBurn (its a free burning program for ISO images.) You can select the DVD burning speed in the ImgBurn program.

Go to: www.imgburn.com for more detail. There are also some tutorials there.

You can use your external drive IF you use an backup imaging program like Acronis True Image Home, There is a new program called: Macrium Reflect and they have a FREE version which should do what you want. Go HERE to read more about it.

It sounds to me like you are saying to download the ISO images to hard drive and then I should copy to DVD - Do I understand that correctly?
Yes, that is correct. Save the ISO file to a place where you can locate it easily. Don't COPY the ISO file to the blank DVD, burn it. What happens is the ImgBurn program "unwraps" the ISO file and burns it in the correct order and setup for the DVD.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You're Welcome!

Oh by the way... welcome to The Windows 7 Forum website!

Almost forgot my manners.

Reaction score
My time to work on the computer repair is limited to my taking care of patrons first.
I am now ready to do a clean install.
Directions I found said to go to Seagate and download the Wipe or Zero Uitlity.
Once there I didn't feel comfortable about the correct software. It seemed to be other vendors instead of Seagate. Do you have a suggestion?
There is a recovery partition on the drive (which would go with the 64 bit once I go back to it). If I say partition the harddrive with plans to save the recovery drive, will that accomplish leaving the recovery drive?
Do you know if I will need to update the BIOS or will that be OK thru this whole process of installing the 32 bit and eventually going back to ther 64 bit.

I downloaded the files for 32bit you gave me links to. I burned it to a DVD. It looks to me like it is bootable.The instructions that I found for clean install says to make a boot disk with cd rom support. Is that file going to provide me with DVD support?
Thanks so much for your assitance.

Reaction score
Directions I found said to go to Seagate and download the Wipe or Zero Utility. Once there I didn't feel comfortable about the correct software. It seemed to be other vendors instead of Seagate. Do you have a suggestion?
My opinion this would be overkill and would only be needed if you were trying to repair a hard drive.

There is a recovery partition on the drive (which would go with the 64 bit once I go back to it). If I say partition the hard drive with plans to save the recovery drive, will that accomplish leaving the recovery drive?
If you do not format or delete the recovery partition, the recovery partition will not be effected.

Do you know if I will need to update the BIOS or will that be OK thru this whole process of installing the 32 bit and eventually going back to the 64 bit.
Your BIOS will not be effected and should be fine without needing an update. Updating your BIOS is always advised as a needed basis. In other words only update if you are having issues with something not working correctly.

I downloaded the files for 32bit you gave me links to. I burned it to a DVD. It looks to me like it is bootable.The instructions that I found for clean install says to make a boot disk with cd rom support. Is that file going to provide me with DVD support?
The ISO's are images of Bootable media. Once written to DVD, your DVD will be Bootable. You may need to check in your system BIOS and make sure you have the DVD drive set in the Boot order to boot first. Otherwise your computer will boot normally without even looking for boot media in the DVD drive.

Thanks so much for your assistance.
You are welcome to ask anytime. If there is anything that we can help with, that is what we are here for. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Reaction score
Continuing to clean install

I did F10 and changed the boot up to the DVD and that works but then it wants to install my 32 bit version which is the DVD in the boot up drive.

But, I think I need to do a clean install first which I think means format hard disk. Is that correct? It has been a very long time since I formatted a hard drive and I seem to not know how to get to the step to do that.
Thanks
Archivist Barbara

Reaction score
Formating would be the better choice. However choosing "custum install" will place your previous OS in a Windows.old folder which can be removed at a later date. This in my opinion is leaving trash from the previous install on the drive.

Reaction score
So my Super moderator - will I go to accessories and to command prompt and do a fdisk? I think it will all look familiar then.

Reaction score
When selecting a drive for installation, there is advanced options to the bottom that will allow formating within the installation process.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What c_c is saying is that during the Windows 7 install you will come to the screen that shows your drive and any partitions. Use the advanced options to reformat and such from there.

Ask a Question