AVI Video Files.

Reaction score
I am running Win7 64bit on a new machine and find that I can`t run AVI video files on Windows Media Player.

WMV files run fine. I`ve seen it somewhere that I need the relevant "Codecs"and if so, where do I find them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use Shark Codecs for Windows 7 and these will completely cover the gamut of anything you may need.

Go to: http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html to download the codec package.

Go to: http://shark007.net/x64components.html to download the x64 plugin pack.

I have used these for over 6 months and they work great. Don't try to get fancy during installation. Just do a default install and all should be good for you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gents.
Which version do you use Clifford - Basic/Standard/Full/Mega/Corporate or 64bit?

Cheers.

Reaction score
I use the Full version but a lesser version would probably work for my needs.

You can start with the Basic and if you find you need more you can always move up a notch.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If you don't feel like playing around with Codecs, try out VideoLan (VLC). It will play AVI files just fine and dosen't interfear with anything on my 64 bit install.

Reaction score
I`ve got VLC and find it O.K. but the picture tends to break up at times.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I like the Shark codecs, Everything in one simple easy, peasy, lemon squeezy package.:lol:

Shark007's FREE Codec solutions.
PLEASE use the download URL's provided on this site to stay current and up-to-date.
There are many reports of 'modified' files out there. Using the URL's here will keep you safe.

These windows media center codecs are the only codecs you will ever need.

You can choose any media player you want; everything will play.

The following filetypes are enabled and SUPPORTED by the installation of Shark's Codec Solutions.
amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid
All of the above filetypes can be queued to the Windows Media Player Playlist using a right-click.

The codec packs contains a Settings Application to use in conjunction with your windows media center setup which will enable each user to choose from different splitters and decoders for specific filetypes. The application will also allow you to choose from 10 different speaker configurations from 'same as input' and all the way up to full 7.1 channel output.

I have also released x64 versions of the settings application so these codec adjustments are completely independent of each other on Windows 7 systems and can co-exist together on x64 systems.

The Settings Application is 100% UAC compliant.
Restricted access is enforced. (User Account Control)

The Application allows each user to maintain individual codec settings while at the same time seamlessly integrating any administrative commands directly into the users account. New users accounts are detected upon opening the Application and automatically inherit the Administrators settings.

Please use the menu across the top of the page and listed to the left to navigate this website.

To directly contact the developer, Shark007, please read the Troubleshooting page. You can also choose to use the Forums to seek assistance on an individual basis or leave comment.

CONVENIENT LINKS PROVIDED FOR DOWNLOAD:
All pages contain download links for each product.

Adding files to the Windows Media Player Playlist
On the Help TAB of the 32bit Settings Application is a button to allow you to choose Windows Media Player Filetype Associations. Once you have used this button, you can Enqueue newly associated files to the Windows Media Player Playlist as depicted below. If for some reason this doesn't work for you, go back to the associations button, click No twice, consecutively, then select Yes. No reboot is required.

This will also work for audio files such as FLAC, APE or musepack.

When dealing with codecs, more does not equal better.
Having the least amount on your system is the best configuration.
This is exactly what these codec releases will do for you.
You will no longer be restricted to using any specific player.
WMP and your Windows Media Center setup will play all your files.

The Current release for Windows Vista and XP users is VERSION 5.5.4
WINDOWS 7 CODECS - The current release of Win7codecs is VERSION 2.3.2
** ENJOY FULL PLAYBACK WITHOUT BREAKING YOUR SYSTEM **

MKV and FLAC playback is fully supported by all RELEASES in any player.

Ask a Question