automatically connect to Ethernet at boot

Reaction score
How to connect to Ethernet automatically when boot?

We are using Windows 7x64 Ultimate in our office floor. Most are Dell, HP and Acer and others. All use Ethernet network cards connected to always on Cisco Linksys Broadband routers, ie, WRT54G and other models.
Often, after we boot, the computers will directly connected to the Internet.
However, many times, the computers do NOT connect to the internet. We have to bring up the Network and Sharing Center, then, click the red "X" mark to run the Windows Network Diagnostics. The dialog box will indicate "Windows tested your Internet connections and verified that you are able to access some websites. Are you looking for help with a different issue?" Then, the red "X" mark disappeared, and this computer is connected to the Internet.
What can we do to make the connection to Internet automatic every time we boot up?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Short answer is change the router. That is a very old model. I cannot comment on the other models you mention.I had the same problem until a few months ago. I spent several months and many 'phone calls trying to solve the problem. "experts" offered a lot of advice, none of which worked. You were lucky with your fix. The only thing which worked for me was a hard reset (with the small button on the back) and a log off/on.
I even accused my ISP of taking my line when it was inactive. I really believed that worked for a while, but I now think I was mistaken.
Reading up intensively, brought me to the conclusion that this was a common problem with Linksys, and partricularly that model. I now run a D-link and the problem, so far, has not re-occured

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Playing on Dave's possible cause, it might be worth a try to update the routers firmware.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes. I did not mention that. I found (some months ago), that there was an update. Quite painless to install. Once again, peculiarly, it seemd to improve things, but only temporarily (Like a couple of weeks!)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are using the Apple's "bonjour" then you need to change the Bonjour service from “automatic” to “automatic (delayed start)” on each W7 machine. And yes, it's possible, this could be causing your lack of internet on boot-up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How do you set Apple Bonjour service? In control panel somewhere?

Reload with latest Cisco WRT54G firmware, version 1.02.8, 10/5/2009. Same problem. No difference.

Reaction score
OK, I checked, the "Bonjour Service" is "Disabled" at Startup Type.

This program is "c:\program files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"

I should set this "Bonjour Service" to "disable" correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, I checked, the "Bonjour Service" is "Disabled" at Startup Type.
If you use iTumes then you will want it running. You are not disabling things through MSCONFIG are you? because that is not correct. As in the article I pasted, you need to go to control panel \ Administrative Tools ... services; then find Bonjour and double-click on it to open properties and there set Start-up type to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" .... NOT DISABLED.

Now, are you saying it was ALREADY disabled? If so then you probably aren't using it and it isn't likely the cause of your problem and therefore not a solution either. However, If YOU set it to disabled please go back and set it to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and if you changed anything in MSCONFIG then set that back to the way it was.

This program is "c:\program files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"

I should set this "Bonjour Service" to "disable" correct?
And this is a program, not a service. If it is in msconfig start-up then iTunes probably needs it so leave it.

Reaction score
No I am not using iTune for quite awhile. I have removed iTune from the systems because I worry Apple stuff may cause this unable to automatically connect to Internet problems.

I checked, the "Bonjour" folder is not in "Program Files (x86)" folder.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if it has been removed then I would completely remove the entries in services and in msconfig but if they were disabled already then it isn't causing your internet issues so you need to keep looking.

Reaction score
I powered off the computer, router and broadband modem. Reset and connect the Dell desktop computer to modem directly. Power up modem, boot up computer. Desktop computer will connect to internet automatically and directly every time.

Power off computer. Reconnect to router. Power up router. Wait for router to get Internet light green. Boot up ThinkPad laptop to test router. This X61 ThankPad will boot and connect to internet automatically every time.

Boot up desktop computer, but 4 days out of the week it will automatically connect to internet. The rest of time, this desktop will not automatically connect to the internet, then, we need to open the Network and Sharing Center, and click on the red "x" mark between the Gateway and Internet to execute the "Windows Network Diagnostics" - and it will connect to the internet.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
We are using Windows 7x64 Ultimate in our office floor. Most are Dell, HP and Acer and others. All use Ethernet network cards connected to always on Cisco Linksys Broadband routers, ie, WRT54G and other models.
Often, after we boot, the computers will directly connected to the Internet.
However, many times, the computers do NOT connect to the internet. We have to bring up the Network and Sharing Center, then, click the red "X" mark to run the Windows Network Diagnostics. The dialog box will indicate "Windows tested your Internet connections and verified that you are able to access some websites. Are you looking for help with a different issue?" Then, the red "X" mark disappeared, and this computer is connected to the Internet.
What can we do to make the connection to Internet automatic every time we boot up?
I had to go through this all the time while I was on wireless (via Time Warner). Early this week, they brought me a new (wired) router, and not only did it fix the problem you're describing (having to troubleshoot constantly), it boosted my speed by at least 4, if not 5 times what I was running. I was averaging 250KB/sec, now I'm averaging 940KB/sec.

Obviously, you need your wireless to work. Insist on a new router(s) from your ISP, if they provided them. If you bought them, it's time for newer, faster ones. Being that you're in a office, you'll greatly benefit from a "N" based router. They cost more, but it's worth it.

Cat

Reaction score
cat, I am using wired LAN Ethernet connecting the desktop to the router, not wirless.

I updated Cisco Linksys Firmware Version 1.02.8 for WRT54V5V6, released 2009-10-5.

I check reconfirm the network card: Interlk 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection adapter at Device Manager. On the properties, under Power management,

Ask a Question