ALC662 Non-Distorting Driver Needed!

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having an audio problem on a new build using Windows 7 x64 OS. The motherboard has built in ALC662 5.1 ch HD audio from Realtek.
Board is a ASRock K8N68pv-GLAN with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
I have tried the MS driver for HD Audio (6.1.7601.17514), Realtek R2.71 (6.0.1.6873) and R2.75 (6.0.1.7246), all with no solution of the problem.
The sound is very distorted from the audio out jack in back when Windows sounds are playing, but when testing with the Audio Manager, the sound is not distorted.
I have also tried to install the drivers from the original motherboard supplied driver disc (which are Vista drivers), and they fail to install.
So, I was wondering if you could help me sort out this issue, as I am using this as a home theatre PC, and without undistorted audio output, it is kind of useless.
Thanks,

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Shintaro. The referenced link is where I obtained the R2.75 driver release that I tried first. Still distorts the sound. May have to get a sound card if I can't get the on board audio to function correctly.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, then uninstall all the Audio driver software, from Safe Mode. Even go in to device Manager and ensure that your Audio devices have either disappeared or have the yellow warning icon.

Reboot.

Then install ONLY the drivers from the Realtek site that I provided.

Reaction score
I tried to do that, but Win 7 keeps installing the MS driver 6.1.7601.17514 when I remove the device and drivers in safe mode. Can't seem to get it NOT to install the Win 7 x64 driver, it happens too quick for me to cancel the install from the new hardware found wizard. Any suggestions on how I can stop that (will I have to go into the system32 and remove the ms driver files?)?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, so if you uninstall in safe mode, then reboot, get straight away back in to safe mode and try to install the Realtek drivers.

Reaction score
Windows still insists on installing the default MS drivers for the High Definition Device, even in safe mode. I guess they are in the driver store, so they install way to fast for me to manually delay or stop the installation upon reboot in safe mode. I have scoured the web, and can't find any way to permanently remove the MS driver from the store. I can remove oem drivers but not MS drivers with pnputil run from an elevated command prompt. I think getting a clean installation of the Realtek R2.75 might solve the issue, but I can't get rid of the MS drivers so to get a clean install.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Do you have a PCI sound card installed?

Let Windows install the MS Driver and also install the Realtek drivers.

Also please Start -> run
Type in dxdiag
Then Click on "Save all information"
Save the text file somewhere then please upload it to the forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey guys~

I know Shintaro is actively trying to help with this .. but I thought I might add something to see if it helps. ( I Did this with my onboard network card and it worked. to get the manufactures drivers to install I actually had t get the drivers from my Motherboard Manufacturer site, due to the face that my Nic Mfg didn't have the 'software executable package' but My Mother Board Manufacturer DID.) Not trying to 'Hijack' the thread just throwing out some advice that worked for me with a 'weird component issue'. Granted, I'm currently using Win 8 but the same procedure below SHOULD help in Win 7 as well.

Uninstall IN SAFE MODE your current sound card drivers (and the device via device manager) that should make it disappear ENTIRELY .. Windows SHOULD NOT install anything untill either you reboot or tell it to find new hardware changes

DON'T REBOOT and DON'T scan for hardware changes.

Use the software package ( exe.file) from Realtek for your sound card. OR from your Motherbaord Mfg site drivers can be found HERE (they are in a zip file the 5th one down for the HD Audio, version 5527. Extract the zip and run the 'setup' file) for your Motherbaord specficaly from the Manufacturer BUT they only go as high as Vista 32 and 64 bit. You COULD try an older driver , I had to do that for my network card and it solved the issues I was having. While still in the same Safe mode 'session'.

As Shintaro suggested ONLY install the DRIVERS there SHOULD be an advanced ..or custom install option to do such.

Reboot your system into normal mode AFTER the driver package installs (if it does) And see in Device manager is the drivers did indeed install.

Just some extra advice.
Good Luck
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Shintaro,
There is no PCI sound card in the computer, only the on-board audio from the Nvidia GeForce 7080/nforce 630a MPC chipset with
- 5.1 CH High Definition Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)
- Chipset embedded HDMI Audio
Attached is the DxDiag file output.
Lonewolf,
I have tried multiple times to install the ASRock supplied audio drivers for this motherboard. They are all Vista vintage, and all error out at the end of the install dialogue. I will try doing this from Safe Mode with the ASRock supplied drivers later this afternoon.
Scrounging around on the web, some people were able to address the problem by installing a driver with PullMode turned off (5898_PG281_Win7_TurnOff_PullMode_Upd.zip). I tried this last night, and it errored out at the end of the install dialogue.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate the help provided.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please check in the BIOS -> Advanced
Check that the Onboard Audio is enabled and not on Auto.

Reaction score
Advanced Screen>Chipset Configuration>OnBoard HD Audio>Enabled, no change is output distortion.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please take a screen shot of Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Playback

Shintaro

Reaction score
Select "Speakers" then click on Properties button, Advanced Tab.
My default Format is 24 bit 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)

That is on my old 5 year old system.

Reaction score
Default is:
16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality).
Other options are:
16 bit, 48000 Hz
16 bit, 96000 Hz
24 bit, 44100 Hz
24 bit, 48000 Hz
24 bit, 96000 Hz

Tried them all, and still get the same resulting distortion of the test tone.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sounds can be stored at different Hz, different kbs, and different file type (wav, mp3, etc). Windows sounds are normally .WAV files. Is the Sound Manager playing the exact same sound WAV?

Reaction score
When testing sound at the advanced menu, it is playing the attached sound.
Listen to the end of the sound, and you can hear the distortion.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I hear a "Tiltle do Title Do cccipp". I understand that "cccipp" scratch at the end is what you are referring to. My question ... is it this exact same sound byte that you are playing from Sound Manager or is Sound Manager playing it's own built-in tones?

Ask a Question