After upgrading my CPU...

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First I would like to introduce my self, since I'm a new user to the forums! So hello to all! :) I see you guys help a lot of people out that have problems with their hardware and I'm pretty much depending on you guys since Im stuck pretty bad. I never had such a problem that I wasn't able to fix and I consider myself a person who is knowledgeable about computers. Anyways this story is going to be a big wall of text so be ready!

First of all I had this CPU. Also I have this motherboard. The reason why I linked both items was because you can see the sockets and other information you might need to know before I get into this. Anyways I just bought this CPU. On Wednesday I finally got it in the mail and wanted to install it. The first thing I did was refresh my memory on how to install a CPU on youtube. (I built my computer, but just to make sure so I didnt mess anything up). Once I did that I took my computer in my kitchen with a floor that is like plastic? (I guess? I dont know, its not carpet though.) So I open up my case and then start taking out the CPU fan I bought awhile ago. After doing that I begin to take out my old CPU.

Once I took out the CPU I begin to put the new CPU in (Quad Core). After it was in the slot I then stuck a "THIN" layer of Thermal Glue on the top of the CPU(Quad Core). Once I did that I finally added my CPU fan on top. Then Finally closed the case.

Then I hooked my PC up with the power cord and the keyboard, mouse, and screen. I boot up Windows 7. Then as soon as I see my task bar I get a Blue screen! Since that was awhile ago I didn't write it down since I been looking up online and everything trying to fix my computer. Anyways the blue screen was saying how my memory was having problems. I then tried installing my old memory (This is the memory I bought when I made my computer, later after buying the computer I bought more memory to max out my motherboard, which was OCZ 8GBS) I added my 2GBs worth of Corsair Memory. I tried installing Windows 7 again, once again I get an error. This time it was saying my Hard Drive was bad. I tried a different hard drive (2 different ones, I had one, and bought one today.) Now I keeping getting some of the same Blue Screen Errors, now some are saying its a hard drive problems... The one I see the most is "PFN_List_Corrupt". (I looked around the internet and noticed it was a memory problem, thing is...I tried my old memory; no way that memory is bad also? I mean I bought the 8GBs because I wanted more, not because the 2GBs was broken).

So right now Im pretty stuck, I really don't know what to say I tried several solutions like... remove the BIOs battery, hmm... bought a new HDD, swap my memory with my old memory to try fixing the PFN_List_Corrupt (do I have to buy more memory??)

I'm Currently have a setup with a brand new Seagate HDD 500gb, the 8GB of ram, the new CPU (Quad Core) and right this second as I install Windows 7 Im getting this error at all different times, like the first time I installed the HDD and tried install Windows 7 on it, while on the step called "Expanding Windows Files" (2nd step) the computer totally frozed at 99%!!! I really thought it was going to work that time. Now while typing this post I just got a blue screen at like 67% "BAD_POOL_HEADER"

Can someone, please help me out! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COMPUTER? :(

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
progz, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've been at work. One thing I'd like to ask, you didn't state whether you computer was having problems prior to you working on it. If it wasn't, it may be possible that you got hold of a DOA part. It has been known to happen.

I'm not a hardware expert, but not knowing the condition your computer was in beforehand, it's hard for anyone to call.

There will probably be other answers, but in the meantime, please let us know what was going on prior to replacing (or upgrading) your hardware.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
progz, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've been at work. One thing I'd like to ask, you didn't state whether you computer was having problems prior to you working on it. If it wasn't, it may be possible that you got hold of a DOA part. It has been known to happen.

I'm not a hardware expert, but not knowing the condition your computer was in beforehand, it's hard for anyone to call.

There will probably be other answers, but in the meantime, please let us know what was going on prior to replacing (or upgrading) your hardware.

Best of Luck,
Cat
Well my computer was fine before I put the new CPU in it. Once I booted my PC up...hell broke loss! :( I hate the fact I cant even use my PC :(. Now Im totally ****ed and sad :(. I love this thing. But Yeah it was working fine before I did all this I totally regret even adding this CPU in this computer this ****ing sucks. I hope someone could help me out. Im even thinking about trying to find a PC repair shop to see if they can fix it :(.

Edit: I just tried installing Windows XP and I got the PFN_List_Corrupt" again... I don't know... I currently have my new memory installed (8gb) so I'm gonna try adding the 2gb of the old memory I have in and see if it will install with the new HDD that I bought... this better work! :(

Edit 2: Im trying to install Windows 7 with the old memory(2GBs) (because with the 8GBs Im getting "PFN_List_Corrupt") with the new HDD I bought the seagate one... I'll report back if I get any errors. Hopefully not! :)

Edit 3: Nope didn't work, I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe I blew my motherboard out? Is that even possible?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like you're having some issues here for sure. I empathize with you.

First, is your motherboard's BIOS up to date with the latest firmware?

Second, you stated that you used "Thermal glue" to mount the heatsink to the CPU face. I sure in the heck hope you didn't do that! What type of thermal compound did you use? How did you apply it? What brand?

Third, use only 4GB of your RAM, and mount it in the first set of DIMM sockets, the blue ones. Be sure the RAM is properly seated in the sockets also. Make sure the RAM timings in the BIOS match the timings of the RAM you're using. Be sure you only have one hard drive connected to your motherboard.

Fourth, be sure your DVD drive is set in the BIOS as the "First or Primary Boot Device".

Download a copy of MemTest'86 and burn it to a CD-RW or a floppy disk, whichever will work for you. Boot up your computer and see what results you get.

Reaction score
Sounds like you're having some issues here for sure. I empathize with you.

First, is your motherboard's BIOS up to date with the latest firmware?

Second, you stated that you used "Thermal glue" to mount the heatsink to the CPU face. I sure in the heck hope you didn't do that! What type of thermal compound did you use? How did you apply it? What brand?

Third, use only 4GB of your RAM, and mount it in the first set of DIMM sockets, the blue ones. Be sure the RAM is properly seated in the sockets also. Make sure the RAM timings in the BIOS match the timings of the RAM you're using. Be sure you only have one hard drive connected to your motherboard.

Fourth, be sure your DVD drive is set in the BIOS as the "First or Primary Boot Device".

Download a copy of MemTest'86 and burn it to a CD-RW or a floppy disk, whichever will work for you. Boot up your computer and see what results you get.

Firstly, Yes, The bios are updated. Secondly, I mean't to say Thermal Paste, big deal.....I couldn't think of the actual name. Right now, I think I found out my blue slots are blown out... since I tried using memory within only the blue slots and it blue screened instantly. I put my 2GB Coirsair Memory in and so far Windows 7 is at 67% and no blue screen showed up. The timings on the RAMs are right also...and one HDD is connected. Lastly the DVD drive is set to primary in BIOs.

Its at 90% right now... I think I found the problem... ouch... I'll edit my post once I see what happens.

Edit: Wow, 97% and I got the Blue screen error called "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Code: 0x0000001A

....jeeze...I guess I'll try to get the old CPU in and see what happens. Either way Im just gonna return the CPU and get a combo deal.

Reaction score
Firstly, Yes, The bios are updated. Secondly, I mean't to say Thermal Paste, big deal.....I couldn't think of the actual name. Right now, I think I found out my blue slots are blown out... since I tried using memory within only the blue slots and it blue screened instantly. I put my 2GB Coirsair Memory in and so far Windows 7 is at 67% and no blue screen showed up. The timings on the RAMs are right also...and one HDD is connected. Lastly the DVD drive is set to primary in BIOs.

Its at 90% right now... I think I found the problem... ouch... I'll edit my post once I see what happens.

Edit: Wow, 97% and I got the Blue screen error called "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Code: 0x0000001A

....jeeze...I guess I'll try to get the old CPU in and see what happens. Either way Im just gonna return the CPU and get a combo deal.
You can make a thread in the BSOD section of the forum. Follow what the sticky thread in it says.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors are usually driver related. I can take a look for ya.

Reaction score
You can make a thread in the BSOD section of the forum. Follow what the sticky thread in it says.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors are usually driver related. I can take a look for ya.

Found the problem guys! The CPU is DOA!!! WOWO. I threw my old CPU in my PC and BAM! EVERYTHING WORKS FINE.

WOWO. Newegg sucks. You think cause the item is at least 300$$$ they would make sure it would work.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I figured it was DOA, that's what my guess was to begin with. All was well, you add a part, it no longer works. There really was no other answer.

Hope that you find a "live" processor next time.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
I figured it was DOA, that's what my guess was to begin with. All was well, you add a part, it no longer works. There really was no other answer.

Hope that you find a "live" processor next time.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Yeah, I guess I should of known it was a DOA but I honestly never had one before plus I just honestly thought a CPU being a DOA? Cmon... they are a lot of money... you know?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sometimes you get a bad part from the factory, there's other reasons, too. Free shipping is one of them. Those UPS people slings those packages around like crazy, especially the free shipped ones. Some of them are dropped as far as six feet off the docks. The paid shipping has a different label, and is handled with more care, especially priority shipments.

The reason that I know this? I knew someone that worked there part time. The priority packages are handled better. And too, it can be obvious. If the box has a dent in it, that's a dead giveaway it was slung around. A factory wouldn't send out a product in a box beat all up.

Something expensive as a CPU, paid shipping is the best. You get what you pay for.

Cat

Reaction score
chipset - NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
chipset info from your motherboard link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188009

Your motherboard is a nForce 6 series

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz
Your link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

nForce 6 Series Motherboard CPU Support

Socket 775:

Wolfdale **
E8600 - 1333 FSB - 3.33 GHz
E8500 - 1333 FSB - 3.16 GHz
E8400 - 1333 FSB - 3.00 GHz
E8300 - 1333 FSB - 2.83 GHz
E8200 - 1333 FSB - 2.66 GHz
E7400 - 1066 FSB - 2.80 GHz
E7300 - 1066 FSB - 2.66 GHz
E7200 - 1066 FSB - 2.53 GHz

Kentsfield
QX6850 - 1333 FSB - 3.00 GHz
QX6800 - 1066 FSB - 2.93 GHz
QX6700 - 1066 FSB - 2.66 GHz
Q6700 - 1066 FSB - 2.66 GHz
Q6600 - 1066 FSB - 2.40 GHz

Conroe
X6800 - 1066 FSB - 2.93 GHz
E6700 - 1066 FSB - 2.66 GHz
E6600 - 1066 FSB - 2.40 GHz
E6420 - 1066 FSB - 2.13 GHz
E6400 - 1066 FSB - 2.13 GHz
E6320 - 1066 FSB - 1.86 GHz
E6300 - 1066 FSB - 1.86 GHz

Presler, Smithfield, Cedarmill and Prescott family processors are not fully tested on the 6 series motherboards.

Yorkfield Core 2 Quad processors are not supported on the 6 series motherboards.

** The latest BIOS update is necessary to run Wolfdale Core 2 processors
EVGA Motherboard CPU Compatibility

Your motherboard does not support that CPU

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff! I was real tired last night late, so I didn't take the time like I normally would to explore deeper.
The compatibility issue can to mind after I shut down late last night. Checked it this morning but ya beat me to the punch! :)

You would think that someone who is upgrading the CPU would be sure to verify first that it was compatible with the motherboard.

Then blames it on Newegg for shipping a defective product, which with CPUs is a virtual unknown. Especially the way Intel packages them, which is very well protected.

Newegg doesn't test the product prior to leaving their warehouse, it would break the Intel factory seal, nor is it Newegg's responsibility to do so. That blanket statement was quite off the cuff.

Lesson of this thread? Know what you're doing and what products are compatible with the other hardware you're mating them to.

Now he can either buy a new motherboard or return the processor and get a compatible one. Either way it's going to cost him money and time.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Lesson of this thread? Know what you're doing and what products are compatible with the other hardware you're mating them to.
:eek:...:D

Reaction score
chipset info from your motherboard link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188009

Your motherboard is a nForce 6 series

Your link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

EVGA Motherboard CPU Compatibility

Wow thanks for the information. By the way guys, this was my first computer I built and never been around any computer parts till now. I went to newegg.com to check what processors my motherboard could run and it did say Core 2 Quad. It does say that I have to update the bios for it to run the CPU, well if I do that...it should run right? But I know for a fact I did do that. I could try doing it again I guess? And if for sure it doesnt work then I know my motherboard doesnt work with it? But they say if you update it should be necessary to run...so wouldnt that mean they are proven the part where it says "Yorkfield Core 2 Quad processors are not supported on the 6 series motherboards." I dont know Im sorta confused... its like the site is saying two different things. Maybe Im wrong and cant read english? Thanks for the replies guys, I have been reading them via my e-mail even though I may have not posted

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Just as long as it's not a Yorkfield core Core 2 Quad you should be okay.

The kentsfield core is the one you need to use.

All the Core 2 Quad CPUs at Newegg are Yorkfield core CPUs so those won't work for you.

To be honest with you it would be better to get a better motherboard that supports the CPU you currently have, one that uses Intel chipsets instead of nVidia chipsets.

nVidia chipsets aren't that great, in my opinion. You'll have to go to an older CPU to work with your current motherboard, one with a lower frequency, etc.

I would suggest a Gigabyte, Asus or MSI board with a least an Intel P45 chipset, Intel CPUs work best with Intel chipset-based motherboards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just as long as it's not a Yorkfield core Core 2 Quad you should be okay.

The kentsfield core is the one you need to use.

All the Core 2 Quad CPUs at Newegg are Yorkfield core CPUs so those won't work for you.

To be honest with you it would be better to get a better motherboard that supports the CPU you currently have, one that uses Intel chipsets instead of nVidia chipsets.

nVidia chipsets aren't that great, in my opinion. You'll have to go to an older CPU to work with your current motherboard, one with a lower frequency, etc.

I would suggest a Gigabyte, Asus or MSI board with a least an Intel P45 chipset, Intel CPUs work best with Intel chipset-based motherboards.

well doing this i deff learned my lesson. Now I gotta buy a new motherboard. I seen some on newegg and actually checked the CPU support and it works with it. (Its listed on the site). My current memory isnt but it is the same speed the motherboard is so im not worried about it. Plus the memory is prolly newer then the motherboard memory list they have on their site. it is a asus also. Its the Asus nforce 780i. I do know that im deff wasting my money since the new i7 are out but i guess i wasnt expecting my motherboard to not work with the CPU thats why. So Ill just buy this motherboard for now and start saving for a new pc (which wont take long) then at least my brother can use my old PC after me. So its doesnt bother me, gotta do what I gotta do. And at least my PC building skills are improving. Once again thanks for all the help guys!

Reaction score
No problem progz. :)

We are always happy to help.

If you have any questions about the new build before you buy. We would be glad to look over the specs for you just if you want to post a parts list.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
progz, by the time you save for another one, you can build another one for less. Unless you're looking for an elcheapo one, which I don't think you are. You said that your PC building skills are improving, keep those skills polished, learn from any mistake you made (we've all made them), and keep at it. You'll have a better computer than you can buy, for a lot less, the way YOU want it, not Dell, HP, Lenovo and so on.

As you probably already know, retail PC's are loaded with all kinds of useless programs, "crapware" is what is called here. If you really want a good, solid PC for less, you're better off building it yourself. There's plenty of help here, too.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question