Adobe releases 64-bit Flash

Reaction score
Adobe releases 64-bit Flash preview for Windows, Mac, Linux
Adobe has released a 64-bit preview version of its Flash player plug-in (codenamed Square) for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Better late than never, right? Make no mistake: Adobe choosing to demo it on the day that Microsoft releases its IE9 Beta is no coincidence, even if it's not an exclusive Windows release.

Adobe emphasizes that Square is designed to take advantage of IE9's hardware accelerated graphics; the software company is claiming performance increases of up to 35 percent in IE9 "compared to previous versions of IE." That's quite a big jump, but we must remember that the number is comparing against old 32-bit versions of IE, so the gain is a combination of the improvements made in IE9 plus the enhancements of the 64-bit Flash player.

Reaction score
This is going to have all the 64 bit users ecstatic haha. (I use 32 only here.)

About time Adobe! Good one Cliff!

Reaction score
This is going to have all the 64 bit users ecstatic haha. (I use 32 only here.)

About time Adobe! Good one Cliff!
I wonder if this will cause any BSOD's or Freeze Ups before all the kinks are worked out.

Even though I have installed IE9, I think I will wait till the Beta cycle is over before trying IE9 with 64-Bit Flash.

Reaction score
It's highly unlikely to cause bsod since Flash doesn't install its own drivers. Freezing is possible but I still doubt that. If I had 64 bit, I'd be giving it a try straight away. :)

Reaction score
It's about time Adobe!!

"Adobe emphasizes that Square is designed to take advantage of IE9's hardware accelerated graphics;"..........

Does that mean we won't be able to use it with IE8, or simply that it'll work even better with IE9 ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It should work fine with IE8 unless they actively blocked it to work there, which I highly doubt they did.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
OMG

Thank you for posting this. Geez, I was just about to install 32-bit Linux today because Adobe had temporarily discontinued their 64-bit support, and for better or worse I need Flash to function properly. You can imagine how thrilled I was at the notion of running a 32-bit OS on an Athlon II quad... While I'm sure this preview release will be as buggy as always, the fact that they've released it makes me think I can just go ahead and install x64...what a relief.

Thanks for posting this!

Reaction score
You can imagine how thrilled I was at the notion of running a 32-bit OS on an Athlon II quad
Core

Windows 7 64-Bit has both 32 and 64 bit browsers. There is no need to use a 32 bit operating system if 64 bit flash is not available. Use a 32 bit browser with Windows 7 64-Bit and the 32-Bit Flash works just fine.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Core

Windows 7 64-Bit has both 32 and 64 bit browsers. There is no need to use a 32 bit operating system if 64 bit flash is not available. Use a 32 bit browser with Windows 7 64-Bit and the 32-Bit Flash works just fine.
No, I was talking about a Linux installation... On Windows Flash hasn't given me any grief. Sorry about the confusion.

Reaction score
No, I was talking about a Linux installation... On Windows Flash hasn't given me any grief. Sorry about the confusion.
Ahhh

Thanks for the clarification. After re-reading your first post, I can see that was what you meant. :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am watching a video in IE8 x64 with Flash Square right now. Seems to be working as well as it does in 32bit

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No problems so far, using 64Bit flash in 64Bit ie9.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Woohoo, IE9 and Flash x64 - about time :). I'll get this installed now.

Reaction score
OK - You guys talked me into it.

I now have Adobe 64-Bit(Square) installed for all my browsers.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Why does the 32 bit one have to be uninstalled first? We still have 32 bit browsers, with the bookmarks & everything, so what happens with that? Also, though Firefox has a 64 bit browser, they recommend to run the 32 bit one.

If we uninstall the previous versions, as they (Adobe) recommends, how will our 32 bit browsers work?

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Why does the 32 bit one have to be uninstalled first? We still have 32 bit browsers, with the bookmarks & everything, so what happens with that? Also, though Firefox has a 64 bit browser, they recommend to run the 32 bit one.

If we uninstall the previous versions, as they (Adobe) recommends, how will our 32 bit browsers work?
There is a 32-bit version of flash square but I did not uninstall flash from my 32-bit IE or firefox and I only installed flash square in 64-bit mode. So you don't HAVE to uninstall the 32-bit flash UNLESS you choose to install 32-bit Flash Square. Your 64-bit browser won't have any flash so there you can install 64-bit flash square right away. I haven't even downloaded 64-bit Firefox so I have no point of reference to answer that.

Note these are betas so IF you install them you will have to manually uninstall them as updates and the final version will not update automatically.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've installed it, as well as the 64 bit version of Firefox. Seems to work fine so far, both on IE9 (beta) & Firefox 3.6.3 (the latest 64 bit version, otherwise known as Namoroka).

I'm very pleased with the browser performance.

My only question is, why did it take so long?

Cat

Reaction score
My only question is, why did it take so long?
Maybe they were drinking coffee and eating donuts until someone told them about HTML5.

Could be they was working with Microsoft all along. Somehow I wonder why the release with IE9. This could have been a ploy to gain media coverage from either side of the coin.

Ask a Question