Administration Group

Reaction score
I have a small Home/Business Network with 2 PCs running WIN7 64bit Pro and a Laptop running Windows. With all 3 Computers I am the Administrator and all Computers have their Drives set up as Shared Drives. There are no Passwords for any of the Computers. When I try to copy Files from one PC to another I get the Error Message saying I have to be part of an "Adminstrative Group". I cannot see any Information on how to set up this Group; and does it need to be set up separately on both Computers.

Thanks for any Help anyone can give me.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have a small Home/Business Network with 2 PCs running WIN7 64bit Pro and a Laptop running Windows. With all 3 Computers I am the Administrator and all Computers have their Drives set up as Shared Drives. There are no Passwords for any of the Computers. When I try to copy Files from one PC to another I get the Error Message saying I have to be part of an "Adminstrative Group". I cannot see any Information on how to set up this Group; and does it need to be set up separately on both Computers.

Thanks for any Help anyone can give me.
In win 7 you can be either in a homegroup, or a workgroup. Instructions differ

Are you an admin on the pc's? Or are you a regular user?

Reaction score
Hi Zigzag.
I am the only User and Administrator and [I think] have the Network set up as a Workgroup.
howdee

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too because I just installed a router last week and even though I disable passwords and set my music and downloads folders as shared they show up on the other computer but give an error like user not authorized when I try to access it. The only folders that share successfully are ones stored under public.

BTW howdee, you mention the laptop has Windows ... is that W7, Vista or XP? Only W7 has homegroups so you definitely can't use homegroup if all the computers are not W7.

Reaction score
Hi T-Man
The PC has WIN7, 64 bit Pro. the Laptop has XP. I have no trouble copying Files back and forth between them, as long as I do it from the PC; but cannot do it from the Laptop. The second PC, which is only connected occasionally also has WIN7 64 Pro; but the 2 will not talk to each other Properly. In WIN7 Network Screen if you click on Show the Entire Network Map, both will show the Map with both PCs in the Network; but not the XP Laptop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I do know that some people have issues with w7 not allowing you to share from the root very easily. It seems it doesn't always give the "everyone" group permissions automatically so then you have to go to the security tab under properties and add group "everyone" (no quotes) and if you want them to have more than READ access you then have to change that too.

Reaction score
Thanks Choo-Choo Man.
However, being only moderately literate on Computer Matters, especially WIN7, where do I start to find the Group Permissions?
I have had a look at Computer/D:\Drive/Properties/Security Tab/Advanced and there are 4 Items there, Asministrators (AIRGALE-A) [thd Computer Name], SYSTEM, Authenticated Users and Users (AIRGALE-A). I have changed the permissions for Users from the Basic that were shown in the Check Boxes to include most of the Checkboxes. If I look at the Administrators and System, all the Checkboxes are ticked. As I am the only User of the Computer, if I checked all the Boxes in both the Authenticated Users and Users Sections, would this then allow me full control from any other Computer on the Network
Bit long winded. Hope it makes sense; and you can help me.
Howdee

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In windows explorer right-click on your C: drive and choose properties.
Properties.jpg
Go to Sharing tab and choose advanced sharing, then Permissions.
permissions.jpg

I believe what you need is group Everyone. Sharing from the root drive is discouraged because it allows for total access so to me it looks like it is treated diferently than if I share one of my own folders. As I said I just got into this last week when I added a wireless router to link to the Home Theater PC (HTPC) I added in the living room so I'm learning here too.

Note: Windows 7 does not allow the sharing name to include a $ after the letter like in older versions, therefore you cannot share this as C$.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Choo-Choo
Checked Computer\C:Drive\Properties\Sharing. Then have to click on Advanced Sharing, then Permissions and it shows under Group or User Name "Everyone". So that looks as though it should all work. I will have to try it later.

Thanks for your Help.

Howdee

Ask a Question