SOLVED Acer laptop crashing

Reaction score
My laptop is just over one year old and has begun to crash every time I use it. The screen goes through a sequence of vertical graduated grey stripes, then the same but horizontal, followed by white, red, green and blue and so on...
I then have to hold the on/off button down until the computer switches off and I re-start it in safe mode.
Occasionally I get a blue screen with a fault diagnostic of some sort but it doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Read the instructions HERE to get BSOD help. You need to include zipped copies of your DMP files.

Reaction score
On a hunch, I'd say you have a memory problem, whether it be with the GPU or the mobo RAM. On the other hand it could be a overheating issue but my money is on the memory. Once you get it up and functioning download MemTest 86+ and run it to check your memory. It's a boot-able piece of software, which means you have to change your boot order to cd/dvd first and then load the disc and boot up.

Reaction score
On a hunch, I'd say you have a memory problem, whether it be with the GPU or the mobo RAM. On the other hand it could be a overheating issue but my money is on the memory. Once you get it up and functioning download MemTest 86+ and run it to check your memory. It's a boot-able piece of software, which means you have to change your boot order to cd/dvd first and then load the disc and boot up.
Same again....Many thanks for your help and advice. Memtest 86+ seems to have done the trick! :)
:beer:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Memtest is a great tool, if you still have your crash dump and were willing to post it I could do a re-analysis, however if things are fixed I don't see a need for it. Nice work :)

Reaction score
Memtest is a great tool, if you still have your crash dump and were willing to post it I could do a re-analysis, however if things are fixed I don't see a need for it. Nice work :)
:cool: Thanks for your offer Ace. All seems ok with my errant laptop now. I must say it has been reassuring to find such knowledgeable people here on the forums.

Cheers.

Grumnall

Ask a Question