Acer 5100 won't boot past the Acer splash screen

Reaction score
I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my X86 Acer 5100 laptop due to it being old and slow. Anyway the clean install went well until I started to get a boot that would stop at the Acer splash screen. I ran a lot of diagnostics to see what the problem might be including the RAM, Hard Disk, Drivers and probably a couple of other things. I finally narrowed it down to this Lexar x64 Flash Drive that I had used to back up my files with. It seemed that when I would leave it in during some of the boots, not all, I would get the stoppage at the Acer screen. When I removed it and booted after I had killed the power there would be a regular boot. Now I should say that I tried pulling the battery also and that really didn't solve anything. Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem or has had it happen to them? I didn't bother re-setting the CMOS. It's only the x64 byte Lexar drive that does it when I leave it in.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Isn't the Lexar x64 a USB 3.0 drive? USB 3.0 did not exist when W7 came out so you need to install drivers.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you got the USB in the boot sequence in the BIOS? for example the computer will try booting to USB then Hard drive then CDROM?

Reaction score
Isn't the Lexar x64 a USB 3.0 drive? USB 3.0 did not exist when W7 came out so you need to install drivers.
Train-When I plug the Lexar Flash drive into my x86 Acer it installs the drivers for it. That isn't the issue though. I was just performing a normal boot process when the Lexar x64 was plugged in. I was not booting to it. It just would not go past the Acer splash screen when it was plugged in. Once I took it out and rebooted the whole process would boot completely. Now I ran a benchmark on my x64 machine but it does not have usb 3.0 ports with this lexar flash drive and it appears to have faster read and write speeds than my 4GB flash drives but I still can't find out anywhere if this lexar is a 2.0 or a 3.0 USB . The serial is LJDTT64G-000-108B so you can try and find something. I couldn't and that is why I tried finding out through a benchmarking app.

Reaction score
Have you got the USB in the boot sequence in the BIOS? for example the computer will try booting to USB then Hard drive then CDROM?
It wasn't in the boot sequence per se. It was plugged in but the boot process was a normal one. Once I unplug the Lexar Jump drive the x86 Acer laptop boots ok. It only hiccups when the Lexar is plugged in.

Ask a Question