A Very Clean PC

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Last Friday i took delivery of a Packard Bell iMedia PC with the information
I started it then it just stopped and now wont work
I found this to be true and my first thoughts was concerning the PSU...but upon opening the case i noticed a small piece of J-Cloth in the bottom of the case, so i rang the owner of this PC and asked about the fragment of J-Cloth, the lady said
I was looking at my hubby's PC Mag and it said the inside of your PC needs to be cleaned every six months, so i gave it a good wipe around with a damp J-Cloth
:eek: i was stuck for words ! needles to say the Motherboard is now junk, RAM , PSU not sure just yet. I explained the basics of ESD to the Lady and also that the PC will now be a rebuild. After finding out more of the facts the owner had opened the case and wiped every surface with a damp J-Cloth (and thinking "the PC gets warm when running" booting up would dry it out) :rolleyes: ... I'm still a bit lost for words.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I never wipe any of my computers with a damp cloth. I spray a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth made for glass, then clean the screen. I mean a very small amount. Then, I use a small feather duster to clean the rest. Once a month or so, I vaccum the grovees, USB ports and keyboard with a attachment that has a very small tip to get accumulated dust and grime. I was reading in my manual that there is a anti-static cleaner to use. If in doubt, always consult your manual for proper cleaning. And no, don't depend on your computer to dry things out as it becomes warm. That's asking for trouble.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I use canned air and i get it in multi packs as a requirement of Computer repair is to hand back the finished job as a clean PC in all respects.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I forgot about the canned air, it's very useful as well. It does USB ports really good, as well as difficult areas to reach by other means. I'll pick up a can as soon as I can find one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder what runs threw peoples heads when they do things like this. I make mistakes don't get me wrong, but every body knows the hazards of water and electrical equipment. She's lucky she didn't injure herself. Maybe she was smart enough to at least unplug it first.

Reaction score
Any computer shop would save money with an air-compressor instead of canned air. If you need compressed air on a daily basis, the canned air can get to be a large expense.

Reaction score
The big problem with a compressor Clifford is that it contains water partials as it takes air from outside the tank and compresses it. In a place that has high humidity such as Brisbane this is a really big problem. I have a compressor for painting etc and even with the water collectors etc on it and draining tank after every use, if I hold the gun to a piece of metal for long enough it will start to get water beads on it.

The best thing about canned air is that you don't have this problem. The worst thing to come out is a burst of butane if you shake the can or tilt it over too far.

There may well be a good fix for the moisture issue with compressors, I really haven’t looked too much into it so if anyone has a good fix I would love to know about it as the canned air is expensive.

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the Air-compressor which I use all the time.

I find it amusing at how people will use refrigerators which will condensate inside the computer but yet blowing a little mosture to clean with is forbidden. I only see this being a problem if you are stupid enough to do so while the computer is running. We do have a dryer setup that catches 95% of the condensation. What little condensation left is usually dry by the time the computer is ready to be powered on.

Reaction score
Might be a little different in the US to Brisbane AU when it comes to the humidity in the air. It gets really bad here but as i said i am open to suggestions to stop it as i agree with you it is an expense that I could do without. What type of Dryer are you using? (single bulb or double etc?) I'm willing to give anything a go once.

Reaction score
Well what I have is a bit different than the hand held dryers that are mounted to the spray guns. It is also Home built and I cannot seem to find anything online that it resembles.

Its a four inch pipe that is about four feet long and mounted vertically on the wall. There is an outlet is at the top with a bleeder at the bottom. The inlet is mounted the center of the pipe which makes the air inside circle around. This creates a vortex which makes the water particles build up on the walls of the pipe and drain to the bottom.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"I never wipe any of my computers with a damp cloth. I spray a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth made for glass, then clean the screen."
Beware, readers with plasma and other soft screens. The use of alcohol can destroy the surface. I use proprietary cleaners, similar to lense cleaning fluids, which are harmeless in this respect.
The compressed air should also be used with caution on the cooling fans inside the computer. They have plastic bearings and the large, unnatural spin can overheat them. Jamb them first with a matchstick or similar.

But, Veedaz, that is sad news for the owner. If the power pack is still working, no chance of a complete wipe out with some spirit, to see if you can eradicate some of those shortouts?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I stripped the PC last night, the Motherboard is fried, the PSU, one RAM stick, on the back of the Motherboard i found pink liquid ? after another phone call it comes to light the lady sprayed the Motherboard with a cleaning product called Lift then used a damp cloth to wipe away the cleaner.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc, thanks for the warning. The reason that I use alcohol is that I read that is what's used at the factory prior to packing. I read it in a tech article. But I've only cleaned my screen once on this PC, my laptops have been cleaned in this fashion for two years now. But they are older, mabye that's why it hasn't hurt it. Veedaz, that lady really wanted her PC clean, didn't she?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yes she did and now the lady and husband are paying for a new Motherboard, PSU, RAM, Windows 7 (the PC was Vista) + my time.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It's a wonder they didn't try to put it through the dishwasher, LOL O_O

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They may as well had. I've never heard of a computer being cleaned like that before.

Reaction score
you guys think that's bad, you should go on youtube and check out some of the cleaning videos posted. Leaf blowers.....crazy.

Ask a Question