SOLVED 8GB RAM problem

Reaction score
I'm using win7 64bit,and installed 8gb Ram to fluently run photoshop which needs 2,4GB alone, BIOS can see 8GB, but system tekes 4GB to peripherial hardware, isn't it too much? How can I increase amount of physical memory( my OS can see 3,99GB. Any ideas? Thanks for help

Reaction score
Can you give us your computer specs to see what we are working with.

Thank you.:):confused::burnout:

Reaction score
Hi Jerzy - Welcome to w7forums

Try enabling the "memory remap" option in the system BIOS

Reaction score
While I'am waiting for the computer specs try removing the CMOS battery of the Mobo but be very careful doing it because you are playing with the component that is vital to the computer I recommend if you aren't comfortable doing this take it to a computer repairer to do. in most cases it will solve all problems however after removing it you have to enter the BIOS to set all settings to their defults.

Reaction score
Coco you forgot to mention placing the battery back after a few minutes.

Then boot into the system BIOS to check all the settings and make sure all devices are being detected.

Reaction score
Intel i5 750 Asus P7P55D LE RAM Patriot viper 1600 DDR3 sector5 Graph: Radeon 5750 Proc is a bit overclocked to 3,2GHz RAM 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 , BCLK-160 There is a problem with taking off a battery cause I got massive cooler to proc.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Jerzy, I may have an idea on this one. Please right-click "My Computer" and select properties. This will bring up the system information panel. In the middle of the screen it will say "System Type".

If your system says "32-bit Operating System" then you will need to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to use more than 4GB of RAM.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Jerzy, can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "but system tekes 4GB to peripherial hardware, "? Are you saying the memory isn't seen by the OS, or that some program or the OS is using 4GB of it?

Reaction score
I think it's a spelling error, error XE2348Y I think he means "but system takes 4GB to peripherial hardware". Which sounds like alot of his memory is being used by hardware instead of the system.:confused:

and HE NEED's to do what I said before. TAKE the Comos battery out and put back in again to reset the BIOS.

also it doesn't HELP when someone doesn't post back to get help. or even see what we are trying to do for them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again.I've just purchased it. I really appreciate your help, I think it's a matter of time lag. I meant earlier that,4GB RAM is signed for bios and peripheral hardware,I.m not sure if it needs so much ram. By the way, I've just updated my bios,won't reset affect my update? Thanks a lot for your help.

Reaction score
  • When your BIOS reports 8 GB of RAM
  • and memory remapping is switched "on"
  • and you use Windows 7 64 bit
  • and Windows 7 reports only 4 GB of RAM
then I think it could only be this reason:
In Windows 7 there exist a switch to reduce the amount of memory (and the number of used processors). This switch is only for programmer to test their software with lower amount of RAM or processors.

Start "msconfig". On register card "Boot" choose Button "Advanced options".
Uncheck "Maximum memory" (and uncheck also "Number of processors").
If unchecked Windows 7 uses all available memory and all processors.

Reaction score
I unchecked theese buttons,but it didn't work, but I noticed,that my BIOS shows: usable memory-4088MB and in OS: task menager:installed 8GB but 4GB signed for BIOS and peripherial hardware, maybe I have to configure my BIOS, load CMOS or sth whatever it means? Thank you,any ideas?

Reaction score
I did a CMOS reset, but RAM did not go up only bios restored default values.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
If the BIOS only shows 4GB then it's potentially a hardware issue. I don't know how Windows would see it if the BIOS can't, that makes zero sense to me. If this is a PC you built yourself I would manually test each RAM module individually to make sure they all work properly and that none are bad.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Could Jerzy post a screenshot of what he's talking about?

Perhaps its this;

If we could see what's going on it will help! Use your Snippet tool in Windows 7 to shots like the one above

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Wow! It sure is reserving a LOT of RAM to the hardware.

Are you enabling Video Shadow and/or BIOS Shadow in the BIOS?

Have you tried to set the BIOS to optimized defaults? Usually there's an F key you can press to do this.

Do you have the motherboard manual for the ASUS mobo? Did you update to the latest BIOS version #1207? You can find the BIOS version in System Info.

Last edited:

Ask a Question