8gb micro sdhc card not working

Reaction score
I'm running win 7 64x just bought a new lexar 8gb micro sdhc card and windows will not reconize it when it's in the card reader. windows tries to install drivers and it say it failed doing so can any one help with this issue?

Reaction score
HI jonnyf - Welcome to w7forums
  1. Do you know for sure the card reader supports SDHC cards?
  2. Did Windows install the card reader drivers?
  3. Have you checked Windows Update for Optional Updates to your hardware devices?
  4. Have you checked Disk Managment to see if the SD card needs to be formatted?

Reaction score
yes i have checked to see if i could formatt it yes as far as updates the only thing im not sure on is if it reads sdhc i know it reads micro sd . the card reader is a memorex 5 in one card reader i wont lie it is old

Reaction score
The 2 GB capacity defined by the SD 1.1 standard wasn’t enough as card sizes grew, so the SD 2.0 or SDHC standard was added. It allows for capacities of up to 32 GB today; the standard is potentially ready for capacities of up to 2 TB. SDXC will follow next year, as 32 GB may remain the limit for the SDHC standard. Note that SDHC and SD cards are identical from the outside, so be sure your device supports SDHC before purchasing such a card (4 GB and up).
Source - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdhc-memory-card,2143.html

For the new SDHC (2.0) implementation, 22 bits of the identification string are used to indicate the memory size in increments of 512 bytes. The SDCA currently allows only 16 of the 22 bits to be used, giving a maximum size of 32 GB. All SD cards with a capacity larger than 4 GB must use the 2.0 implementation at minimum. Two bits that were previously reserved and fixed at 0 are now used for identifying the type of card, 0: standard; 1: SDHC; 2, 3: reserved. Non-SDHC devices are not programmed to read this code and therefore cannot correctly identify SDHC or SDXC cards.
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

I don't fully understand this quote and don't expect you to either. However the bold text was my main reason in posting.

Ohh and seeing that you have a 1 in 5, the chances are slim that you have a SDHC reader. SDHC became a standard in April 2006. Readers by this time had many more formats.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can buy a converter on ebay for 3.50 including shipping. Plug the sdhc in one end and the other end goes into usb 2.0 slot. Cheap solution.

Reaction score
thanks for all the help giong first thing in the morning to get a new card reader

Ask a Question