7 Blue Screen of Death.(In my case)

Reaction score
Hi guys
Its like this.....
I have this evening been getting the blue screen of death. I don't know why this suddenly happened. When I re-boot the windows 98 splash screen comes up, thing is I have never ever installed windows 98 on this machine, then it re-boots itself and starts up in DOS. I cannot get a signal from my router to get on the web from my laptop either. My router is ok because my ISP checked it for me. I have never heard of this. I cannot get it to scan for viruses because I cannot get it booted up.
Its windows 7 ultimate, Packard Bell ixtreme M3720
System Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Model Packard Bell ixtreme M3720 Motherboard Packard Bell MCP73PVT-PM
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q8300
Processor ID Genuine Intel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Frequency 2.50 GHz Processors 1
Cores 4 Threads 4
L1 Instruction Cache 128 KB L1 Data Cache 128 KB
L2 Cache 4.00 MB L3 Cache 0.00 B
Memory 3.75 GB 800 MHz FSB 333 MHz
BIOS AMI P01-A3

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
ihaveissues, welcome to the forum! Do you have any kind of emergency boot disc on hand? I've heard of a lot of things happening before, but seeing Windows 98 splash screen on Windows 7 is a new one on me. You're either going to need a boot disc, or you can boot from your Windows 7 Ultimate disc (load it like you're doing a install), after the screen goes by that says "Windows is loading files", there's an option to repair. Try that first, if you have your disc. Many times, systems can be repaired this way, but not 100% of the time. If you cannot get your system booted by repair, you may be looking at a reinstall. If you can boot, you need to do an immediate virus/malware scan, as well as a CHKDSK scan. Should you need further assistance, please post back, someone is usually here.

Reaction score
One thing you can do is to look at the minidump files that are usually created with Stop Errors (BSODs) to see if a third party driver is named as causing the crashes or if a pattern to the crashes can be determined.

The minidump files are wriiten to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

You have to open the minidump files with a debugger such as WinDbg of the Debugging Tools for Windows.

You can download the Debugging Tools for Windows from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

There is a tutorial in the following link on setting up WinDbg, such as setting the symbol path and utilizing the !analyze -v command:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/26584-2-intermediate-configuring-debugging-tools.html

To get a list of drivers loaded at the time of the crash run the lmtn command.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion, but the problem is that the OP cannot boot at all. What's even more weird, his laptop won't receive a signal from his router. Until the OP returns, there's little we can do to help.

Ask a Question