64bit software.

Reaction score
* Could not decide to post here or in General so if mods want to move it, that's fine*

Anyway, I've acquired myself a new copy of Win 7 Ultimate at a good price and slowly getting my new hardware together for the rebuild.

I'm leaning towards installing the 64bit version and to this end I want to start getting together new programs that are known to work properly under 64bit.

I want all the usual stuff.
For starters.

Photo editor
Office works
Security
DVD/Cd creator

The usual stuff most of us have.

So anyway is there some site or even somewhere in this forum that lists currently available programs known to work with 64bit?

Mychael

Reaction score
Here is a thread that list the application that work. However it is not strictly 64-Bit. A list for the 64-Bit would be just as long though because nearly all 32-Bit applications will work with Windows 7 64-Bit. It would be a much smaller list with the applications that do not work with Windows 7 64-Bit.

Thread found here - https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-application-compatibility-t246.html

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mychael, most recent apps runs fine with the OS that you selected, it's just that many (or most) of them will be 32 bit programs. There are more 64 bit programs being developed, but progress is slow. Hardware is different, especially printers. If you have a older Canon product, forget it, there's no 64 bit drivers going to be made for them. Do you intend to dual boot with XP Pro with this install? If so, that will take care of anything that won't run with Windows 7. Good luck with your install.

Reaction score
All programs, if written correctly, will install and run just fine on 64-bit OSes. Only applications that are written poorly will not run on 64-bit.

Finding a program that doesn't work on 64-bit today is the exception, rather than the rule, despite the constant stream of threads that would suggest otherwise. We are, after all, a support forum, not a "yay! everything works!" forum.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thrax is right, I've had only one program that didn't work (despite the fact it's a Microsoft program). But Microsoft corrected the problem and now it works fine. Otherwise, I've not had any other program that wouldn't run on my 64 bit desktop.

Reaction score
Mychael, most recent apps runs fine with the OS that you selected, it's just that many (or most) of them will be 32 bit programs. There are more 64 bit programs being developed, but progress is slow. Hardware is different, especially printers. If you have a older Canon product, forget it, there's no 64 bit drivers going to be made for them. Do you intend to dual boot with XP Pro with this install? If so, that will take care of anything that won't run with Windows 7. Good luck with your install.

My Canon printer would be about 3 yrs old now. Not a big issue however as part of my hardware upgrade I intend to get a wireless MF scanner/printer.

I do plan on setting up a true (as opposed to VM) dual boot system. I'm assuming that would mean installing all programs twice, once in the WIN7 system and again in the XP system, or is there a way to get either OS to see installed programs?

Mike

Reaction score
My AOLPRESS doesn't work and my Monopoly software also will not work
Thrax is right, I've had only one program that didn't work (despite the fact it's a Microsoft program). But Microsoft corrected the problem and now it works fine. Otherwise, I've not had any other program that wouldn't run on my 64 bit desktop.

Reaction score
64-bit <--> 32-bit

Visual Basic 3.0 : Seems to me written correctly. Application written in VB 3.0 don't run on 64-bit. They run perfectly on 32-bit!
Willy Pauwels

All programs, if written correctly, will install and run just fine on 64-bit OSes. Only applications that are written poorly will not run on 64-bit.

Finding a program that doesn't work on 64-bit today is the exception, rather than the rule, despite the constant stream of threads that would suggest otherwise. We are, after all, a support forum, not a "yay! everything works!" forum.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My Canon printer would be about 3 yrs old now. Not a big issue however as part of my hardware upgrade I intend to get a wireless MF scanner/printer.

I do plan on setting up a true (as opposed to VM) dual boot system. I'm assuming that would mean installing all programs twice, once in the WIN7 system and again in the XP system, or is there a way to get either OS to see installed programs?

Mike
Mychael, I just got through helping someone getting his $3,500 Canon printer going. It wasn't very old. While I'm not hanging it all out and saying it won't work on Windows 7, Canon has a very bad reputation of producing products that will only work with a couple of OS's, then they leave you in the cold. There's hundreds of non-working Canon threads on this forum. A dual boot system would be a good idea for you. Too, a dual boot is far superior to a VM, but as in the situation that I helped with last night, he had no choice in the matter. It was either a VM, or find an older computer to make his printer work, and being a business person, I don't think he wanted that. His specs were high (8GB RAM, for one). I don't know of anyone with a XP system with 8GB. But the way you're doing, carefully planning, is fine. You do have a game plan. That's where most upgrades and even clean installs fail: No game plan in place. They expect to boot from the Windows 7 disc, and watch miracles perform. It just doesn't work that way, as I've seen in many threads here. I wish the best for you, Mychael. You seem intelligent enough to pull it off. P.S. Mychael, you only have to install in XP what doesn't work in Windows 7

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;-). I'm not locked in to buying another Canon when I get my multi function device. I'll look for something with wireless capability and separate ink tanks.

Just slowly accumulating the software at the moment. Then I'll get the Hardware. Once it's all together I'll kill off 'Edward' (don't ask you'll be sorry if you do) and put all the new gear into the same case and start afresh. I'll probably roll over some hardware but a lot might need to go either because of capacity or compatibility.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It will work out for you. But as far as Canon goes, I'll never buy a piece of their hardware. My stepson and his wife gave us a Canon camera about four years ago. It was a nice one for it's time, the kind you put film in. A couple of years later, someone stole their newer one prior to going on vacation. I offered to give it back to them, they said no, they would buy a couple of those disposable ones. That's bad, you can't even give the thing back to them.:D

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I see no reason NOT to go 64-bit if building or buying a new machine, unless your business is stuck to legacy software or hardware that is not supported. But in that case, being stuck with legacy software and hardware will eventually catch up to you - and WILL cost more later to convert on down the road, than it will now. If your favorite program does not come in a 64-bit version, or just does not run on a 64-bit system, yell at the program maker and ensure they understand you are moving to their competition because they failed to stay current with 64-bit compatible versions.

Reaction score
I ran across this site dedicated to Windows 7 64 bit software drivers and other. Pretty good site and great place .
to find a lot of useful stuff.
Drivewhiz.com and look up windows 7. You'll find many drivers for the downloading fun of it.
As I do not see well I tried to see the policy on using links and if they were OK but could not find any pertinent .
Hope this helps.
Marshmellow

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have an addon on Firefox called WOT (Web Of Trust). This site has an untrustworthy rating, therefore I decided to abort the connection to the site. It is rated badly in all four categories, including child safety. WOT warns you of bad sites, if I'm not mistaken, you can add it on to IE, too.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, I think you will find many sites that offer lots of freeware and shareware will have the poor WOT ratings because they often host stuff that could be considered nagware and because many aren't real restrictive on what apps get added and so you can find malware programs on the site ... as well as perfectly good & useful apps. Of course if it is extremely useful you can probably do a search and find the file hosted elsewhere on not-so-poorly rated sites too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I haven't thought of it that way, I guess you can do some searching for the same product in other places. When I run into those WOT "bad rating" sites (you can't help but notice), I abort the connection right there. I kind of use it as a general guide to safety. Probably some looking around will make a difference, in most cases. But one thing that I know for a fact, you can scan a download, and everything will check out fine (especially those dreaded ZIP files). Then, when you open it, hell breaks loose. For whatever reason, many ZIP files "fool" even the best of AV's and malware detectors. On my notebook, before I had 7, I had been burned by these files on several occasions. One was on a forum like this one, the member claimed to need help (his first post), and said that his dump file was in zip format. Several of us got burned by our offer to help.

But like I agreed with you, the next time, I'll look in a different place. If I receive the same warning, then I'll know. If not, I'll proceed to take a look.

Ask a Question