SOLVED 64 bit vs 32 bit

Reaction score
In addition to hard drives, CD/DVD's and video card the "new" machine has:

CPU - Intel i7 920;
MB - [FONT=&quot]ASUS P6T Deluxe V2[/FONT]
RAM - 6 GB
PS -
[FONT=&quot]Silverstone OP1000-E

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The W-7 compatibility list published by the Windows 7 Forums was very helpful in moving me from XP. What I can't get my mind around is if some programs and drivers written for 32 bit machines will work on 64 bit machines, why won't they work on all 64 bit machines? (Or am I not understanding the "highway analogy" - 32 lane highways vs 64 lane highways?) Are there site, or ways to determine which programs, devices or drivers that need updating to run on 64 bit machines? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]For example, the MS Compatibility page tells me my printer (HP LaserJet 6L), scanner (HP PrecisionScan Pro 3.1); speakers ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Creative SB Live[/FONT][FONT=&quot]); camera (Intel PC Camera CS431); and Hauppauge Win TV PVR card are either compatible with W-7, or they're waiting vendor confirmation. Something similar would be very helpful for those of us upgrading and trying to decide between a 32 bit and 64 bit install.

[FONT=&quot]Aycon[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Reaction score
A 64-bit OS needs 64-bit drivers. Period. 32-bit drivers will not work.

Any application should work on 64-bit, but some poorly-programmed ones do not.

Reaction score
So you are saying my Acrobat 8.0, Firefox 3.5, all Window programs (Office,etc) anti virus program, etc. as long as they are written by reputable houses should work on 64 bit? And I'll need to update my drivers to 64 bit for HDD's, video card, printer, scanner, camera, etc. Other than going to each site is there one site devouted to updating devices to 64 bit?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Other than going to each site
Its best to go to the manufactures site to download the latest drivers (eg) if you have a nVidia Graphics Card go to the nVidia home site. its worth spending a little time to get things exactly right ;)

Reaction score
I have installed Windows 7 ,32 bit. What do I have to do to install 64 bit, reinstall Windows 7 from the begining...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So you are saying my Acrobat 8.0, Firefox 3.5, all Window programs (Office,etc) anti virus program, etc. as long as they are written by reputable houses should work on 64 bit? And I'll need to update my drivers to 64 bit for HDD's, video card, printer, scanner, camera, etc. Other than going to each site is there one site devouted to updating devices to 64 bit?
Yes your programs will run fine. Windows x64 OS installs an x86 (32bit) automatically when it is installed so that x86 programs will run with no problems. Some x86 programs will not work, but very few. Plus many AV programs now have x64 versions which will work with the same keys or serials.

There is no "universal" website for all drivers. It is always best to go to the hardware makers websites to get the correct drivers. Now Windows 7 will natively install many of the drivers, if not all. It did with my system (see my system specs) but still I will update those with the latest drivers from the hardware websites.

I know its a pain in the a**, but it will be worthwhile to do this as the latest drivers give you the best performance. Some hardware sites may NOT have Windows 7 drivers available yet, but you can use the Vista drivers with no issues. Save the drivers to an external hard drive or burn them to a CD-RW disc for future use. That is what most of us do.

Good Luck! ;)

Your ASUS mobo drivers go here: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx&templete=2

For your HP LaserJet 6L click here.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have installed Windows 7 ,32 bit. What do I have to do to install 64 bit, reinstall Windows 7 from the begining...
You can do an upgrade if you want, but it works best to do a clean install. That way you won't have any residual issues.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Aycon:

With your system specs:
CPU - Intel i7 920;
MB - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM - 6 GB
It is literally begging to be run on an x64 Windows 7 install. You'll take FULL advantage of the 6GB of RAM that you have. Remember that x86 will only recognize up 4GB of RAM only and no more. Unleash that beast you have and give it the full potential of the Windows 7 x64 OS.

Don't worry about "double usage" of your product key since you'll be only running one system. If you do have issues call MS support and they give you a new activation code.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
64bit OS's aren't simply a "widening" of the highway, to use your own analogy.

A 64bit OS requires signed drivers and comes with more stringent security on what programs and drivers are allowed to do. Hardware DEP, better protection of the OS kernel, and better RAM address protection are just a few security improvements over 32bit.

If you want to verify your hardware, peripherals, or anything else would work with Windows 7 just check the manufacturer's own website for Windows 7 drivers... if they have the driver, then by all rights it should work just fine. ;)

Ask a Question